Our Family

Our Family

Friday, August 2, 2013

Favorite Recipes: Zucchini Brownies

One of the things we grew in our garden this year was zucchini squash.  I can't believe how well it has grown!  Even after two of the plants being partially uprooted in a storm it has continued to grow and grow.  So as the pile of zucchini has grown and grown on my counter, I have been searching for recipes.  I came across this recipe for zucchini brownies and knew I had to try it.  Chelsea and Nick did not want me to "ruin" brownies by putting zucchini in them, but after eating them last night, they have changed their minds.  They were probably one of the best brownies I have ever made.



Brownies

1/2 cup of oil
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup of cocoa
2 tsp of vanilla
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups of flour
2 cups shredded zucchini

I put all the ingredients in my Kitchenaid mixer and started blending saving the zucchini for last.  Once you add in the zucchini and it is well blended, spread in a greased 13x9 pan.  The batter will be a bit thicker than regular brownie batter.  Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.

Frosting

While the brownies are baking you can whip up some chocolate frosting.

6 TBSP cocoa
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar

Melt butter and cocoa together over medium heat in a saucepan.  Allow to cool slightly.  Add in vanilla, milk, and powdered sugar.  If you would like a thicker frosting you can add in additional powdered sugar until it is to the consistency that you want it.  You can leave the frosting in the fridge to set up while the brownies finish cooking and cool.  Spread over cooled brownies, cut and serve.

No comments: