Teaching children to read is one of the scariest things for homeschooling moms. It sounds easy enough, so why do we worry so much? We know that if we fail at teaching them to read, they will struggle with everything else. We want to provide our children with the best education possible and a huge part of that is the ability to read. Parents who are teaching a child who is already struggling to read due to dyslexia or other reading problems carry a heavier weight. Especially when you have a child that wants so badly to be able to read and their brain simply cannot make sense of the letters and blending them together. I have had the opportunity to review All About Learning Press's All About Reading Level One program and it has been a huge answer to prayer!
I already was a huge fan of their All About Spelling program, and can't even put into words how excited I was to be able to review All About Reading Level One. I really wanted to try it out with my 6 year old son who is ready to learn how to read and with my dyslexic 8 year old son who wants to be able to read but has been having trouble blending and making the connection between letters and their sounds (although he has made huge improvements since we started All About Spelling Level 1.) Not only did we receive the complete set of All About Reading Level One to review, we also received the Deluxe Reading Interactive Kit!
When you order All About Reading Level One ($99.95) you will receive 5 items:
Teacher's Manual click here for a sample
Student Packet (including activity book) click here for a sample
Run Bug Run Reader click here for a sample
The Runt Pig Reader click here for a sample
Cobweb the Cat Reader click here for a sample
You also can choose to buy the materials individually or purchase an extra activity book if you are using the program with more than one student. To order click here.
Deluxe Interactive Kit ($48.95) includes:
Magnets for letter tiles
Basic Phonograms CD- Rom (for PC or Mac)
Reading Divider Cards
Reading Review Box
Reading Tote Bag
You can also order the Basic Interactive Kit ($28.95) which includes the first 4 items of the Deluxe Kit or any of the components separately. To order click here.
There are so many different kinds of reading programs that are available. What is it about All About Reading that makes it special? Here is what I love about the All About Reading program:
- The plans are written in such a way that there is no teacher preparation required for the daily lessons. We just open the book and go. The only preparation is when the curriculum arrives. You will need about an hour to put the magnets on your letters and set up your board and reading box (more about that in a minute.)
- With the exception of the student activity book and star stickers, the materials are non consumable and able to be used with multiple children.
- The program teaches how children learn best through sight, sound, and touch. The idea of using letter manipulatives is ingenious! The magnets have made the connection for my dyslexic son and finally made reading make sense to him.
- The activities in the activity book are fun! My boys loved feeding words to the monster, playing a gift box game, and matching words with pictures.
- The readers are hard cover, beautifully illustrated stories. The books are very sturdy and will definitely last through multiple children. My boys are so proud to have a book that they can read all by themselves!
- The program is complete teaching 5 different components of reading: phonological awareness, phonics and decoding, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension with each lesson building on the one before.
- It is customizable to the child. You continuously review words and sounds until they are mastered. Each lesson begins with the items that need to be reviewed before going on to new teaching.
- I enjoy teaching it! So often I get burned out teaching things that I find boring. All About Reading makes it fun for them and me!
- All About Learning Press has a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee. You have one full year to try out their program. If at any time during that year you find the program does not meet your needs you can return the materials for a full refund no questions asked! You will also get lifetime support. If you ever have a question or problem they are there to help.
- What I love most about All About Reading, is that it works! Both my 6 year old and 8 year old are now able to read! I can't even fully explain what that means to both my 8 year old and I, especially since I feared he would never would be able to read. We have completed lesson 19 out of 49 and I am so impressed already with what they are learning and reading everyday.
Other items available from All About Learning Press include: All About Reading Pre-One ( I am planning on buying it for my Pre-K and Kindergartner next year) and All About Spelling (we use it and love it!)
To see what other crew mates had to say click here.
Disclaimer: As a member of the TOS Crew, I received a complimentary set of All About Reading Level One materials and Deluxe Interactive Kit for the purpose of writing a fair and honest review. I received no other compensation.
*links used in this post are my affiliate links