Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Caterpillars, Bugs, and Worms

When I was in school I strongly disliked Science.  I thought it was the most boring subject in elementary and middle schools, and then in high school not only was it boring but it was really hard!  When I started homeschooling, I really wanted learning to be fun for the children.  I wanted to be able to feed their interests and their passions even when it is something that I am not particularly excited about myself.  Now, that doesn't mean that they love everything we do all of the time (just ask Nick about fractions), but we try to make it as fun and interesting as we can.

The boys have been using Apologia Science Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day this year.  They have loved it!  So far they have learned about birds, bats, pterosaurs, and we have just started insects.  The insect section has been their favorite so far.  So much so that we have ordered a few extra items to feed their interest.  We purchased a critter habitat so they can catch and observe live insects (ask me how many times the critter has been let out in the house.)  We also purchased a butterfly garden and ordered Painted Lady Caterpillars so we can watch them turn into butterflies.  Then we got to the section on starting a bug collection.  The boys really wanted to catch and pin insects.  So, they bought a kit to get them started.  They are really enjoying this project (maybe a little too much?)  Every time I turn around there is a new bug in the killing jar.  They need to work a bit on the identifying and labeling aspect, but they are having fun and learning at the same time.

caterpillars
bug collection
Chelsea has been using Apologia's Biology this year.  She is really enjoying it too.  So much so that she is way ahead of where she is supposed to be and will finish early if she keeps up at this pace.  She had her first dissection of an earthworm the other day.  Even though she thought it was going to be gross, she ended up thinking it was really cool.  The rest of the children enjoyed watching her too.


I purchased the dissecting specimens and supplies, butterfly garden, and critter habitat from Home Science Tools.  I think the quality of their items and their prices are really good.  I wish they packaged their items better for shipping, but I have never had anything damaged.  The butterfly garden came with a coupon to order free larva from www.insectlore.com with a $5 shipping charge.  The Entomology Lab we ordered from Ebay.  I think it is pretty decent for just starting out.  If the boys keep up with it, I will order them a better display case.

No comments: