Our Family

Our Family

Friday, October 8, 2010

Why I Started Homeschooling

Over two years ago, I wrote this blog post here explaining what started my Homeschooling Adventure. During that post, I wrote about how God took care of convicting Art along with me that we should homeschool our children. I thought I would share more about that story.

I had borrowed several books on homeschooling from my dear friend Janet and was reading everything I could get my hands on. I was pregnant with Anthony at the time and one of the places I got most of my reading done was in the waiting room at the doctor's office. I was reading the book, Dumbing Us Down, by John Taylor Gatto and was absolutely amazed at how true all of his points about Public Education were. I left the book in my truck to read at my next week's appointment, but in the mean time, Art had to go to a business meeting that was more than two hours away. As true for a lot of families, I had the newer vehicle with better gas mileage to drive the kids around in (he only had a 2 mile drive to work everyday) so he drove my truck to the meeting. Arriving at the meeting more than an hour early, Art had nothing to do so he picked up Mr. Gatto's book and started reading. That night when he came home he told me we NEEDED to start homeschooling our children. Isn't it amazing how God works everything out?

I'm sharing this story today, because tonight at the Schoolhouse Expo, the keynote speaker is John Taylor Gatto. If you have never heard of him or read any of his books you can go here to find out more about him. His books are amazing and reveal a lot about the how's and why's of Public School. Tickets to the Expo are still on sale if you are interested in hearing him speak tonight 6-8 CST. I am looking forward to it (it's pizza night so the kids will be watching a movie.)

No comments: