Our Family

Our Family

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Individualized Learning

One of the problems with public education is the assembly line theory of learning. Everyone has to do the same thing at the time. It offers no room for individuality. One of the things I love about homeschooling is the ability to cater to your child. God created us all as individuals with different strengths and weaknessses, likes and dislikes, and special gifts and talents. It is wonderful to be able to help your children in their learning processes and to see them blossom and grow. Alex (age 4) has just started recently to be interested in learning his letters. Both Chelsea and Nick could write their names before they were 4. I asked Alex if he wanted to learn how to write his name. He told he would when he was 5. The other day we were making some valentines to send to my parents and Alex told me to wait before he put his in the envelope. He wrote his name all by himself. I was so proud of him. He did it all by himself and because he wanted to do it. He was ready though, and he was quite proud of himself too. Who knows what next obstacle he will climb next, but I will love being here to see him do it and to encourage him every step of the way.

3 comments:

momtofivekids said...

Lisa, Thanks for stopping by my blog. That's great about your son writing his name. I have found the same thing to be true about waiting till they are ready.

Anonymous said...

Nana and Papa are very proud of him too!

Anonymous said...

Nana and Papa are proud of Alex too!