Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Homeschool Wrap Up Week 18

Illness struck our house this week messing up our homeschool plans somewhat.  Alex started running fever and showing a few other symptoms that were "flu like" so I ran him to get checked out on Tuesday morning.  He did not have a flu test but he was prescribed Tamiflu along with the rest of the house.  Tamiflu is not cheap by the way and would've cost me over $300 for everyone, plus I question whether or not it is good to take it to try and prevent yourself from being sick  So I only filled it for Alex who was better by Wednesday evening and so far no one else in the house has come down with anything, but as we do not live in a bubble and are around people all of the time we could've been exposed numerous times since then.  I did cancel our Grandview day and art co-op that was supposed to be on Wednesday because even though Chelsea was home I didn't want to be gone all day expecially if Alex was feeling bad.  We continued with our regular work the whole week except for Tuesday and Alex was excused the whole week and quarantined to the couch.

Week 18 in Our Homeschool

Bible: We completed lessons 82, 83, and 84 in Bible Study Guide For All Ages.

History: In Mystery of History Vol III We did lessons 43-45 on Tycho Brahe and Johannes Kepler, Sir Francis Drake, and William the Silent.  We also did the timeline figures and memory cards for this lesson.

Here is a photo of our timeline figures for Vol II and III.  We use the figures from Amy Pak from Home School in the Woods and place them on a tri fold board.


Science:  We finished reading Chapter 10 in Exploring Creation Through Chemistry and Physics on Light of the World.  We had an opportunity to do some experiments with light and completed the vocabulary and copywork assignments to go along with the chapter.




Grammar/Writing/Literature: Nick got a free pass this week since Alex wasn't feeling well and did not have to do writing or grammar.  I accidentally skipped ahead a chapter in Christian's Lightning Lit and we did Chapter 18 on Mother Goose Rhymes this week.  Next week I will go back to the chapter we missed :) Anthony started reading Ramona and Her Father by Beverly Clearly for his Lightning Literature this week.

Spelling/Reading: No spelling for Alex this week.  Anthony and Christian worked out Lesson 4 of AAR Level 2.  This was their first time to read a story and I did not know until we started the lesson that I had an out dated edition of the readers because I purchased them so long ago.  After an email to the company, I learned I could mail the old ones back and they would do an even exchange for the new ones!  They even emailed me the copy of the story I needed for this week :)  I wrote a post about why I started using AAR that you can find here. We also went over the corresponding spelling lesson.

Math: Anthony and Christian finished Lesson 17 of their Math U See levels and Nick finished Lesson 18 of Pre-Algebra.

My Father's World Creation From A to Z

This week's unit is on the letter "w" with water for the theme.  The Bible lesson is "Jesus gives my spirit living water to drink."  We have only done 3 days of the unit so far.  We have discussed water and it's three forms: solid, liquid, and gas and made a chart showing the three forms.  She also did an experiment turning liquid water into a solid and back to a liquid again.  She has also done worksheets writing the letter w,made a picture envelope for w, completed a sound discrimination page for w, worked on a math sheet on pennies, nickels, and dimes, and made a water badge.

Other Activities this Week:

Monday we had archery club.  I did not take a single picture because I was too COLD!  My double layers of clothing, hooded sweatshirt with a coat over top and gloves were not enough to keep me warm!  I had to stand out there in the cold too because I was filling in for the coach who was home sick.  Brrrrrrrrrrrr!  Thankfully the girls were able to sit in warm vehicle during practice and the boys could also when it wasn't their turn to shoot.

Tuesday Lily had gymnastics and I really need to get some new photos of her now that I have a new camera :)

Wednesday and Thursday were stay home days.

Friday the weather was much nicer than it had been .  We decided to have a picnic in the park with some homeschool friends.  It was warmer, but still a bit chilly.  We had been there almost an hour when 4 buses full of children pulled up.  We quickly started gathering our stuff and heading for the vehicle as children came pouring off the buses.  We had fun for the little while we were there and hopefully will have some more park play dates when the warmer weather is here to stay.  We also went to the library while we were in town since we had not been since before Christmas.





I hope you had a great week in your homeschool!

Happy Homeschooling!

1 comment:

Aflyonmyhomeschoolwall said...

I'm glad your boy is feeling better. Wishing the whole house good health. We're having several bouts of illness this winter, too.

We run and hide from school buses full of kids, too. :) Sometimes I try on purpose to stay, just to give my kids the chance to experience the craziness, but they can only tolerate it for so long. I think that's funny because some people see our van full of kids arrive and react the same way to us!