Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Cute No Sew Octopus

If you read my blog regularly, you know that for Kindergarten this year we are using My Father's World Creation From A to Z.  Each unit focuses on a different letter of the alphabet using a corresponding theme.  The unit we started on Monday was "o" for octopus.  I was scrolling through Pinterest and found this cute craft for a no sew, fleece octopus and we had to make it because it went perfect with what we were doing this week!




We Used:

16x16 piece of fleece
3 in styrofoam ball
piece of yarn
ribbon
googly eyes


How We Made It:

We laid our fleece on the floor.  The orange and white fleece we used was just leftover from another project.  Then we cut a square out of each corner.  I cut a 4 in square and I wish I would've cut a 5 inch to make the legs a little longer.  Then we made 5 cuts out of each side the length of the square which made 6 strips on each side for a total of 24 strips.  Next we placed the ball in the middle of the fleece and gathered it around the bottom of the ball and tied the piece of yarn around the neck tight.  We used three strips to make a braid and tied a ribbon around each leg continuing until we had 8 legs.  Then we hot glued the eyes and Lily made a construction paper mouth that I glued on hers. Emmie drew her mouth with a marker.

The girls were quite impressed with these little creatures and both slept with them last night.  I had all of the supplies on hand except for the styrofoam balls that Chelsea picked up for me when she was at Walmart.  She bought a 6 pack because she said it was cheaper than buying them individually.  This project only took around 15 minutes each to make.

No comments: