Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, May 17, 2012

May Cloverbud Meeting

For our 4 H meeting today, we did some fun Science Experiments.  Science is definitely not my strong suit, but after we had a chance to review the Amazing Science DVD and my children were so fascinated by it, I though it would be fun to do for a meeting.  I decided I wanted to set up a few demonstrations and then come up with an experiment/craft that the children could take home.  All of our experiments came from that DVD : Color Changing Milk, Floating Eggs, Homemade Lava Lamp, and Inverted Cup of Water and all used ordinary household supplies and were very easy for the children to do.  Yesterday, I found a experiment/craft called Ocean in a Bottle that I thought would be fun to do and went along with the other ones.  I adapted the idea from one I found here.  Ocean in a Bottle was also on the Amazing Science DVD but I was looking for some ideas for more of a crafty feel.  We used 8 oz water bottles, food coloring of the child's choice, glitter of the child's choice, and mineral oil.  I wanted to find some shells or small sea creatures to put in the bottom, but my only store choices were Walmart and Dollar General and they had nothing that would work :(.  Even without something to float in it, it still turned out and is really neat to look at. 

Color Changing Milk
Homemade Lava Lamp
Inverted Cup of Water
Floating Eggs
Ocean in a Bottle
One of our 4hers also brought his hermit crabs to show and all the children loved that.  I am so thankful that the parents of the children in the group are so helpful and willing to do things to clean up and help the children.  It is not easy to try and lead the meetings even with my little ones and when you are working with younger children the more hands available to help, the better!  I appreciated my daughter too for taking pictures and for her and another mama for toting around Emelia.

No comments: