Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Week 31 Pregnancy Update!

Even though we still have quite a bit of snow on the ground (well for Arkansas anyway) the roads around where we live were completely clear. So, I decided to go ahead and keep my doctor's appointment instead of rescheduling for later in the week when it is supposed to be even colder. When we got about halfway there, I wished I had rescheduled. The roads were NOT good and still had quite a bit if snow and ice on them. Thankfully we made it to the doctor (and back) safely, but we did decide not to run any of our other errands I was planning on while we were in the big city. On a better note, because of the weather we had no wait time at all in the waiting room and only a few minutes in the examining room waiting for the doctor. I gained 4 pounds making my total weight gain so far 20 pounds. My blood pressure and baby's heart rate were both excellent and she measured perfect for almost 32 weeks. My blood tests came back all normal too and my doctor said as long as I was feeling good and promised to call if I have any problems she would let me wait 3 weeks until my next appointment. Yea!

I have been feeling a little anxiety over the last week or so about my labor and delivery. Not because of the actual pain and hard work of labor, but because I am delivering in a different hospital with a different doctor and rules and regulations can be ...well different. So I had some questions for my doctor and was pretty pleased with her responses. While most hospitals and doctors say they are all for natural childbirth, many of their "rules" make it a lot more challenging to achieve and honestly it is easier for the nurse if you are medicated and stuck in bed. She told me I will need to have an IV access in case of a medical emergency but IV fluids were not mandatory. They allow intermittent monitoring of the baby instead of constant monitoring as long as baby's heart rate is stable to allow more freedom of movement during labor. They will even let you move around after your water is broken (something my last hospital wouldn't allow.) She does deliver the baby right onto mamma's abdomen (as long as there are no complications.) An hour or so after birth they will take the baby to the nursery for a bath but daddy and/or mommy and go with the baby. She did say to make sure I make all of my wishes clear to my nurse when I get there which I will do or if I am not in a talking mood my husband will. But, all in all I felt much better about everything after our conversation. Now i just need to find out what they think they are going to do to my baby during the 24 hour hospital stay.

No comments: