Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Favorite Recipes: Chicken Pot Pie

I love making chicken pot pie, it's like making chicken soup, you can put just about anything in it and not mess it up. I have been making it for so long I don't measure or use a recipe but I tried to pay close attention to how I made it so I could post it here. Keep in mind that you can use just about any kind of vegetables or meat in a pot pie and there are a lot of different variations you can use for crust too. I use my biscuit recipe thinned out with extra milk, but you also could use biscuits from a can, or an already made pie crust. I am feeding a crowd here so I make it in a 13x9 cake pan instead of a pie pan. You may also want to add some salt or pepper to the filling, I don't because we have different tastes and salt/pepper our food once it is on our plates.

Chicken Pot Pie Filling

4 cups chicken broth
2 cups(or more) cooked chicken or other kind of meat
4 medium sized potatoes, diced
1 16 oz bag frozen mixed vegetables (or other kinds of vegetables)
1/2 cup flour mixed with 1/2 cup water

Bring chicken broth to a boil and add diced potatoes. Cook until slightly tender. Add frozen mixed vegetables and cook approx. 8 minutes. Add in cooked chicken. Stir in flour/water mixture to thicken the broth and mix well. Pour into 13x9 pan (or pie pan.)

Biscuit Topping
2 cups flour
4 tbsp butter
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup milk

Cut butter into flour. Add other ingredients with milk being last. Spread over the top of Pot Pie filling. Place in a 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until biscuit topping is golden brown.

No comments: