Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas Day Dessert: A Birthday Cake for Jesus

This week in my Menu Plan Monday post, I mentioned that for our dessert Christmas Day we have a Happy Birthday Jesus Cake. I got several comments and questions about it so I thought I would write a quick post. I don't even remember where I originally got this idea but I have been doing this with the children for the last several years and it's a simple little thing you can do to put the focus of Christmas back on Jesus and have fun with your children. It can be as simple or complicated as you want it to be. Make a cake from scratch or using your favorite recipe. The size and shape is up to you and depends on how many people you are feeding. Sometimes I use my heart shaped cake pan, but usually a 13x9 suits us the best. The children help me make, frost, and decorate the cake. They love sprinkles so it usually gets quite a few of those. We write Happy Birthday Jesus in gel icing and "draw" star and present shapes on the cake (that's what they are supposed to be anyway.) I'm sure many of you are much more creative than I am and can elaborate on this idea and make it your own. However you decorate your cake have fun and enjoy the Christmas season with your family.

The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel which means, "God with us." Matthew 1:23 NIV

1 comment:

Heidi said...

We do this, too, but we actually have it for breakfast! I think this year we're going to do birthday cupcakes instead.