Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Homeschool Crew Review: Parenting Made Practical

parenting made practical

Parenting Made Practical has several books and resources to equip parents with practical tips in how to raise obedient and respectful children.  Joey Link has more then 16 years experience in youth and family ministries and his wife Carla has a degree in social work.  The Links have worked in association with Growing Families Int'l for over two decades and travel across the country speaking at conferences and churches.  Over the last several weeks I had an opportunity to read and review one of their parenting resources, Why Can't I Get My Kids to Behave?

 
Why Can’t I Get My Kids to Behave?


Why Can't I Get My Kids to Behave? is an 147 page paperwork book that was written to parents of children in the age range of 2-12 years old.  This book is meant to be a practical teaching tool with tips on how to teach your children to obey.  The book has 9 chapters:

Why Can't I Get My Kids to Behave?
What Obedience Is
The Parenting Toolbox
What Obedience is Not
First Things First
Keep Plugging Away
Do Compliant Kids Exist?
Don't Use This Toolbox!
It's Not Too Late

Each of the chapters are broken down into smaller sections so although the chapters are not incredibly long there are many natural stopping places.  There are built in real life scenarios throughout the book that people can relate to.  They also show many success stories from people that have used these methods with their children.  Why Can't I get My Kids to Behave? is not simply a list of do this, don't do this but instead shows what obedience looks like and doesn't look like and what kinds of tools parents do not want in their toolbox.  It also shows what kinds of tools parents should put in their toolbox and how to use those tools.  It also is very encouraging suggesting that parents work on one thing at a time, rather then making them feel overwhelmed with the idea of trying to fix multiple issues at once. 

I am  a homeschooling mom of 7 with children ranging from 7-21 and an 8 month old grandchild.  I am not new to parenting, but I know there are always things that we can learn to make our jobs as parents easier, or there are times when we can gain some fresh knowledge to bring new insights into our home.  Every child is different.  Some may never struggle with obedience and then there are others....Many of the suggestions in the book are things that I have used with my children, although there were a few things that I didn't necessarily agree with that may be things that work for other people.  I found the section on different temperaments very interesting and I was reminded that I give reminders too often. I also needed the reminder that I need to be consistent in my parenting even when I am busy. 


Members of the Crew reviewed a variety of resources from Parenting Made Practical including: Taming the Lecture Bug and Getting Your Kids to Think (book and video), Navigating the Rapids of Parenting (video), What Every Child Should Know Along the Way (book), and Dating, Courtship, and Choosing a Mate...What Works?(video)

To see what my Crew Mates had to say, stop by the Crew Blog!


No comments: