Our Family

Our Family

Friday, February 10, 2017

Nature Study Week 6: Earthworms

One of my goals for 2017 was to be more intentional about Nature Study for the four youngest children (5,7,9, and 11).  I want to do Nature Study once a week around a specific theme.  I remembered a friend mentioning a resource she bought at the beginning of the school year and after taking a look at it decided this might be what I needed to help make sure I actually get it done.  I bought Exploring Nature With Children , an ebook with 48 nature study ideas, a poem to go along with your theme, the name of a piece of art work to look up, books, and extension activities.  She also lists coordinating pages from Handbook of Nature Study if you have that book and are interested in looking up more information.


Our week 1 study was on the winter sky.

Week 2 was on the moon.

Week 3 was on trees.

Week 4 was a pond study.


Week 5 was on Candlemas and looking for signs of new life.


This week's topic was earthworms.  The ironic thing was that I have had worms in my fridge for weeks left over from the last fishing trip, but they finally died about a week ago.  So to have an earthworm to study, we had to dig.  I was not sure we were going to find any easily and if we didn't I was going to buy some.

It was a beautiful day, over 70 degrees, just a bit windy.




After just a few minutes Christian found this guy.


And then Anthony found a really good size worm.


We read the information about worms in the book and the children sketched the worms in their journal.








We read the poem about worms and then put our worms back where we found them. 


Happy Homeschooling!




No comments: