Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, February 5, 2017

Nature Study Week 5: Candlemas

One of my goals for 2017 was to be more intentional about Nature Study for the four youngest children (5,7,9, and 11).  I want to do Nature Study once a week around a specific theme.  I remembered a friend mentioning a resource she bought at the beginning of the school year and after taking a look at it decided this might be what I needed to help make sure I actually get it done.  I bought Exploring Nature With Children , an ebook with 48 nature study ideas, a poem to go along with your theme, the name of a piece of art work to look up, books, and extension activities.  She also lists coordinating pages from Handbook of Nature Study if you have that book and are interested in looking up more information.


Our week 1 study was on the winter sky.

Week 2 was on the moon.

Week 3 was on trees.

Week 4 was a pond study.

This week's nature study them was Candlemas.  I have to admit I had never heard of this before.  Candlemas is observed on February 2nd (halfway between the winter solstice and the spring equinox)and is known as "The Feast of the presentation of Christ in the temple."

The nature study was to take a walk and look for signs of new life.  I have to tell you that we had some beautiful days this week, in the 70's.  But I did not look ahead at the weather and February 2nd was cold and cloudy!  Our "walk" was in the yard and very short.  The children looked for anything that suggested spring. 

Christian found some weeds that started growing in the yard and drew those. 



Lily found some leaves on the rosebush. 


Anthony saw a robin at the bird feeder.




Happy Homeschooling!

No comments: