Many people just don't understand why a person would even want to homeschool. Why would you want to take on such a task when there are people being paid to do that job. There are many, many reasons people decide to homeschool, and often those reasons may end up changing over time. A few years ago I took less than 10 minutes and quickly jotted off a list of 20 advantages homeschooling offers, and since that list is still true, I decided to repost it today.
1. We can teach a creation based curriculum.
2. We are allowed to pray and study the Bible.
3. We believe we are walking in obedience to God. ( You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk about them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down , and when you rise up. Deuteronomy 6:7)
4. We have control over our children's education and everything they are learning.
5. We can individualize our children's education (no assembly line theory, children all learn differently and should be allowed to learn differently)
6. Delight directed learning. We can allow our children to learn through things that they are interested in.
7. Real life learning. We can teach through real, living books, and real life, hands on experiences.
8. Self directed learning. We can teach our kids to go and discover on their own, not just spit out what is told to them.
9. We have the opportunity to get to know our children.
10. We have more time to do things all as a family learning together side by side.
11. We don't have to worry about WHO is teaching our children every day and what kind of personal values they may have.
12. No peer pressure, bullying, or ridicule at home.
13. No school violence. (okay, the children do fight occassionally but I don't have to worry about guns, knives, or bombs.)
14. No drug pressure at home.(unless you count having to encourage a child who doesn't want to take medicine)
15. We have control over who our children spend time with.
16. Our children are able to associate and relate to people of all ages not just members of their own peer group.
17. I do not have to rush my children out the door every morning.
18. We have freedom to decide our own schedules. (how many hours of school a day, week, when to take vacations, sick days, etc.)
19. We are able to provide better food choices.
20.While eating healthier food choices our children have the opportunity to eat not just to get ushered through the line to find out it is time to go to recess before they even eat one bite.
Just a few of the many reasons I am glad that we homeschool and I could add many more. I thank God every day that I am able to continue homeschooling my children. But I was reminded recently about all of the things that are going on in the public schools today and while I am being thankful my children are not part of all of that, I do pray for those students and teachers every day.