Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Our Family Vacation to Dauphin Island: Historic Fort Gaines

I knew that the children, especially my oldest three, would enjoy visiting Historic Fort Gaines while we were on Dauphin Island.  The fort's construction began in 1821 and is most known for the Battle of Mobile Bay and the phrase, "Damn the Torpedoes- Full Speed Ahead!"  If you are interested in reading more about the fort's history click here.  We went to the fort on a Wednesday because on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturdays there is a blacksmith there doing  demonstrations and I thought that would be very interesting.  What I didn't know, was that we also (in addition to a self guided tour of the fort) would also get to see (and hear) a demonstration of the fire arms and cannons that were used during that time period.  Admission to the fort was $4 for 5-12 and $6 for 13 and up.  We got there at 10 and it took a little over 2 hours to to go through the whole thing and see the gun, cannon, and blacksmith demonstrations.  Honestly, it would have taken us longer to go through if it wasn't so hot and the baby wasn't getting cranky.  We had to park the stroller and carry her because it was too hard to get it in and out of places.  I also did not think to sunscreen and bug spray the children which I should have since most of it is outside.  The gift shop and museum is indoors and air conditioned.










Lily could not believe this was the potty!!


1 comment:

Lorus! said...

Again - this is something our family would enjoy! I just noticed that I missed two of your posts about Dauphin Island. I have to go back and read them! What an interesting vacation so far!