Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Shopping for Next Year's Curriculum

Have you started thinking about next year's curriculum yet?  I have.  I don't know if I ever stop thinking and planning for the next year.  I love curriculum and pouring over homeschool catalogs.  I love checking out homeschool websites, trying out new curriculum, and reading reviews.  Buying curriculum can be stressfull, especially if you are brand new to homeschooling.  There are so many different options available and you might not know where to begin.  Most companies will send free catalogs to anyone who requests them.  Visit some websites and request a catalog.  Often, there will be sample lessons and other resources that you can look at to get a better feel for the curriculum.  Also, read reviews about the curriculum you are looking at.  The important thing to remember about reading reviews is whether or not somebody likes something is not important.  What's important is what they liked or didn't like.  Those likes and dislikes can help you decide what will be a good fit for your family.  Visiting a homeschool convention can help you decide also.  Getting the curriculum into your hands and looking at it can make your decision much easier.  Keep in mind, if something is not working for your family you can change and switch to something else.

What I Have Decided on for sure next year (which by the way does not stop me from pouring over catalogs and drooling over ads):

Math- Math U See.  Chelsea has been doing great since we switched back and I think Nick will really like watching the videos and working independently.  I also was impressed by their customer service.  I am switching everybody back to MUS next year. 

History- We are loving the Mystery of History this year!  We will finish up Creation to Christ by June and will start Vol II The Early Church and the Middle Ages in August.  I love that we all can do history together with MOH and the children love the timeline and mapping activities.  I am learning just as much as they are!

Spelling/Reading- continuing will All About Spelling and All About Reading- Alex and Anthony should finish All About Reading Level one in June.  I want to get the pre-1 for Christian and Lily.  We will continue on with AAS level 2.

Science- Apologia.  We will be finished with Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day next month.  We will continue Science with some review items that I am really excited about. The boys will start Swimming Creatures in August.  Chelsea will be finished with Biology in a few weeks and go on to Apologia Chemistry next year.

No comments: