Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Winter Break Week 2

We did nothing remotely educational or crafty this week.  We didn't even do any experiments, but we did spend a significant amount of time in the kitchen, and that counts, right?  Plus we are on break :)

After last week being so incredibly busy, I was looking forward to a calmer week this week.  Monday morning started out with another trip to the doctor though.  Emelia never got completely over the sinus infection she had the week of Thanksgiving and over the weekend she started complaining about her ear hurting.  Our doctor was out of town...again..and I had a bit of a time trying to find someone to see her.  There is a new medical clinic not far away though that has a nurse practitioner that we could get an appointment to see and I was very thankful.  She prescribed some Zyrtec and an antibiotic for her ear infection.  She wasn't running a fever but it was hurting her quite a bit, especially at night.  Luckily Tylenol and some ear drops did help until the medicine could get into her system.  She does NOT like the medicine and I have to bribe her with chocolate and some Sprite.  I don't blame her.  It smells AWFUL!

The pharmacy was really busy and we had to wait awhile for the medicine.  I do not like to drag children around town especially when they don't feel well, but since we had to wait for medicine anyway and we were in town, we did wander into the furniture store.  Since the room upstairs is just about completed my wonderful husband said we could buy some new furniture to put in there for my birthday.  I want that room to be kind of like a quiet sitting room/library.  I found just what I wanted.  I got a loveseat and 2 recliners and hopefully will be able to buy some bookshelves soon.  The items were in stock in the warehouse so Art was able to pick them up the next day.  I have already spent some time reading in front of the fire.  It is my new favorite place in the house!


Tuesday we stayed at home all day (except for the boys picking up the furniture.)

Wednesday was Christmas Eve.  I spent a lot of time in the kitchen!  We made candy cane cookies that looked good and the children really liked, but they were so messy!  I also made 2 kinds of fudge.  We did a finger food supper of fried shrimp that Alex helped me make, pizza, and chicken wings.  I had some bananas that were over ripe that I made into banana bread for the next morning and had Chelsea pick up some cinnamon rolls so I wouldn't have to make them from scratch.  We had to leave for church at 5:30.  It was a wonderful service that ended with singing Silent Night by candlelight in the courtyard.  When we got home it was time for snack and bed for the children.  I had two little elves named Nick and Chelsea to help me wrap gifts while Art put together Christian's new bike.  They were a great help!

Christmas morning the children were up at 5!  I told them I would not wake Emmie before 6:30 (she usually sleeps until 8) so they went down and watched a movie and Chelsea baked the cinnamon rolls.  They had a great Christmas morning!  Each of our children get 3 gifts for Christmas plus their stockings.  My favorite part of their gifts though is the gifts they give each other.  The children (except for Chelsea who has a job and bought gifts this year) all give each other gifts that they already have.  They look through their stuff and choose things they think the other children would like.  Or they make something for them.  It is very sweet and they put a lot of thought into what to give.
Emmie loved the blue bear that Christian gave her!








Friday we needed groceries.  Nick, Chelsea, Emelia, Lillian and I braved Walmart.  It was busy but not as bad as I expected, thankfully.

Saturday Art, Nick, Alex, Christian, and Anthony put up the trampoline. I never thought I would buy a trampoline for the children, but they are older now and I did give them several rules.  So far it is a big hit.




I hope you had a great week!

1 comment:

Aflyonmyhomeschoolwall said...

My kids do the same for Christmas that yours do! Watching them open pencil drawings from a 5 year old or recycled stuffed animals and seeing genuine joy in the process is always one of the happiest parts of Christmas for me.

Merry Christmas to you and yours. :)