Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Very Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson

A few weeks ago, I was looking for suggestions for a great read aloud for Christmas.  I wanted a chapter book that would work for a wide variety of ages.  I had numerous suggestions for The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson.  As soon as I heard the name, it sounded familiar to me.  It was one of the books that were part of a Sonlight Core (although I am not sure which one since they have changed the names) that I had done with Chelsea several years ago.  We did not have the book though, since we borrowed the audio book from one of the libraries in "the big city."  So I hopped on the Barnes and Noble website and bought it for the Nook for $5.99.  We began reading it the next day (I love that about ebooks!!  no waiting for them to come in the mail.)

Description: "The Herdmans are the worst kids in the history of the world. They lie, steal, smoke cigars, swear, and hit little kids. So no one is prepared when this outlaw family invades church one Sunday and decides to take over the annual Christmas pageant.
None of the Herdmans has ever heard the Christmas story before. Their interpretation of the tale -- the Wise Men are a bunch of dirty spies and Herod needs a good beating -- has a lot of people up in arms. But it will make this year's pageant the most unusual anyone has seen and, just possibly, the best one ever."

It didn't take very long at all to read.  I did a chapter a day for seven days.  The book was only 51 pages long.  I really could've read more than a chapter a day, but I wanted to make it last a little longer.  It was a great story!!!  First of all, it is really funny.  There were times I had to stop reading because I was laughing so hard.  I love the author's style of writing.  But, the second great thing about this book is the message.  It may be at times hard to give grace to a family like the Herdmans.  But, when we focus too much time on potlucks and pageants rather then spreading the gospel message to those who haven't heard it, our focus is in the wrong place.  The Very Best Christmas Pageant conveys that message loud and clear.  The book is written through a child's perspective and because of that it makes this message very understandable to the children you are reading to.  We loved The Very Best Christmas Pageant Ever and would highly recommend it!

I am linking up to Debra's Read Aloud Challenge.  Come on over and link up your read aloud adventures!

1 comment:

Cristi said...

"Hey! Unto you a child is born." is often quoted around our house.