Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Next Year's Elementary Curriculum Plans

I have nailed down the curriculum we will be using for next year. I will have one in 10th grade, 4th grade, 2nd grade, Kindergarten, a 4 year old who will want to do Kindergarten, a 2 year old and an infant (who have to be kept occupied.) Here are my plans for 4th grade and under:

Math-Abeka- We used it this year. The boys really liked it and the workbooks are very reasonably priced. I do not do any of the speed drills or extra seat work, just the basic Math book.

History-Mystery of History Volume 1 Creation to the Resurrection-I was looking for something Christian based that I could use for everyone. So far all Nick and Alex have done is American History so I am really excited to start something new.

Science-Apologia Zoology 1 Flying Creatures of the 5th day-I love Apologia's hands on approach and their notebooking exercises. I think all of the boys will have fun with this this year.

Bible-readings will go along with MOH

Spelling- All About Spelling Level 1- All About Spelling recommends you start out with Level 1 regardless of age so that's what we are planning on doing even though Nick is already a pretty good speller there may be some spelling rules that he does not know yet.

Handwriting Handwriting Without Tears-The little guys need handwriting practice and Nick will start learning cursive. I like these books because they are quick and easy.

Language Arts- I don't do a strict grammar program with my kids because I think a lot of it is pointless knowledge. I do however think some of the basics are important and that they need to know how to write well. This year I will be using Writing Tales Level One with Nick for that purpose. The TOS Crew reviewed it but I wasn't on that review. After reading their reviews I bought it and am impressed with it. Alex will continue to work on his reading with Reading Kingdom.

Music- I found a great free website called www.classicsforkids.com.

Art- Artistic Pursuits-I reviewed one of their High School books this year and really liked it so I am planning on ordering one of their Elementary Books to use with the boys.

I am so excited about all of the things we will be using next year and whatever else happens to come our way!



1 comment:

Rodna Allman said...

Hey, we have a lot in common as far as curriculum goes this year!

Thanks for linking up with me. It is fun to read all of these posts.