Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Tasty Tuesday: Cinnamon and Sugar Breakfast Puffs

Nausea has been my constant companion for the last several months. I was hoping that now that we are in the second trimester it would ease up a bit, but that has not been the case. One of the hardest things for me to do is cook (and clean up the kitchen.) But, with 5 children and a husband who is at work all day, you still have to cook. Mostly I survive by cooking things that especially appeal to me, but breakfast has proven the hardest meal of the day (nothing is really appetizing to me that early in the morning.) At the beginning of last month, I resorted to buying a large selection of cereal. The children were very excited (we never have this much cereal.) Today I actually made breakfast and they were all thrilled. Nick commented that he couldn't remember the last time I had made them something so yummy for breakfast. It wasn't the most nutritious breakfast ever, but they tasted great.


1/3 C shortening
1/2 C sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 C flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C milk

Topping
6 TBSP melted butter
1/2 C sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Cream sugar and shortening and add in the egg and milk. Stir in baking powder, salt, and flour.
Fill greased muffin cups about 1/2 full and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Melt butter for the topping and add cinnamon and sugar to the melted butter. As soon as you remove them from the oven, roll each puff into the topping mixture until coated. Makes 12.

2 comments:

6intow said...

Maybe it's a girl :-)

The recipe sounds tasty, I might try adapting it a little (whole wheat, flax seed, etc.) and make it some morning.

I love the recipes you share!
Erin

The Happy Homeschool Mom said...

Let me know how it turns out. Maybe it is a girl, but I felt like this with Christian too. Not that I am complaining, I am very grateful that I am not throwing up all day, and that I can still eat. You know what they say, this too shall pass.. and at the end I get a beautiful baby out of it.