Our Family

Our Family

Monday, September 22, 2008

Be Cautious of Childproof Containers

Either medicine containers aren't as childproof as they used to be, or our children are just getting smarter about opening them. I know many adults that have a hard time open medicine containers, but in the last couple of months I have had two friends whose children (ages 3 and 1) has managed to get a medicine bottle open. One of the little girls did ingest about 4 times a normal dose of Tylenol and had to have hourly blood tests to make sure her body was processing it and the other little girl dumped liquid Motrin all over the floor as her mom was walking into the room. I keep all of our medicine containers in a cupboard, or on the kitchen windowsill over the sink when they are not being used, but I have a bad habit of leaving Tylenol on my bathroom sink when someone is sick. I am trying very hard to break that habit. If you even suspect that your child might have swallowed something, call poison control. Even something as simple as extra vitamins or Tylenol can be very toxic to little bodies and don't assume because it is childproof that they can't get it open.
Post a Comment