Our Family

Our Family

Friday, December 30, 2016

A Typical Day in Our Homeschool

In our homeschool, I do not schedule a certain amount of time for each subject.  I have found that it is easier to work with blocks of time.  This way, I do not feel rushed to get finished with something by a certain time and the children are not watching the clock all day.  Our school week is Monday-Thursday leaving Fridays for field trips, errands, and other activities. Our schedule goes a little something like this:


I get up between 7:00 and 8:00 every morning.  My children are not big breakfast eaters so breakfast is fairly simple.  We have things like pancakes, waffles, muffins, cereal, oatmeal, and toast.  I get breakfast for the children that are awake when I get up and the others (the oldest two) serve themselves when they wake up.

After breakfast we have morning chores.  I clean up breakfast, straighten the kitchen, make the bed, start a load of laundry, and take care of any small quick chores that I have time for in the morning.  The children get dressed and ready for the day and take care of their animal chores. 

Then it is time for our morning school work.  These are subjects that we can work on together. Our school day starts at 9:30.  We start with P.E. and it lasts about 25 minutes.  After that we do our Bible reading for the day and a chapter of whatever our morning read aloud is.  We do our poetry memorization and then Nick is excused to go upstairs and work on his school work.  Lily, Christian, Anthony, and Alex and I do the geography and science portions of E.C.C. (plus any extras I add in) while Emmie reads, colors, or plays quietly.  We finish up between 11:15-11:30.


The lunch/recess portion of our day lasts from 11:15-12:30.  I make lunch for the children and they eat and clean up.  Then I eat my lunch while the children have recess. While they are having their recess, I get to read mine too and read for a little while. The children go outside as often as possible but if it is really cold or storming they build LEGO or do other indoor activities. 

Our afternoon school work is lasts from 12:30-2:30.  This is the hardest part of my day because it is when the children work on their individual subjects.  Nick and Alex can work completely independently, but everyone else needs help and guidance from mom.  I go over Emmie's work with her first and get her started on her worksheets.  Then everyone else works on their math.  We sit at the table together so I can help as needed.  This is the time of day when the most patience is required!


After math, we read our afternoon read aloud and then I work on spelling, reading, and language arts with the boys while the girls play quietly. When the boys are finished I work on language arts, reading, and The Book of Animals with Lily.  When she is finished I go back and work with Emmie on any other hands on activities or stories that go along with her lesson.  Once a week we also add in an art project in the afternoon.




The children have free time after their school work is completed.  The boys play their video game and the girls watch a show on TV.  I fold laundry in the afternoons on the days we are home and work on my blog.  Other cleaning chores are completed during this time as well until it is time to start getting supper ready.

We used to eat supper at 5:00 exactly.  But Art works later now then he used to and the children's activities on Tuesday and Wednesdays make us get home later.  I try to have supper ready by 5:30 but even with the later time Art doesn't eat with us often.   During soccer season I feed the children much earlier and heat up something for Art when we get home.

Our bedtime routine starts at 8:00.  I read aloud from a chapter book for the boys and a picture book for the girls.  Once the children are in bed, they do not have to go straight to sleep.  They are allowed to read for awhile until they are ready to go to sleep. I try to have all my work done by 9:00 so I can spend a little time with my husband before he falls asleep.


What does a typical day look like in your homeschool?

Happy Homeschooling!

No comments: