Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Favorite Recipes

The only magazine that I get is Family Fun. A subscription is around $15 for a year and it is a great magazine full of fun things to do with kids. My kids love to cook and Family Fun has great recipes for cooking with kids. Monday, Nick Alex, and I made Stacked Burrito Pie from the May 2009 Family Fun. It was delicious!! I used a 9 in pie pan because I don't have a spring form pan.


2 Tbsp oil
1 diced onion
2 gloves minced garlic
3/4 lb ground beef
2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup water
1 can black beans
1 1/2 cups frozen corn (I used canned)
4 10 in flour tortillas
1 cup salsa
1/2 cup sour cream
8 ounces Cheddar cheese grated

Saute the onion in the oil for 5 min. Add garlic and saute another minute. Add ground beef chili powder, and cumin. Cook until the meat is no longer pink. Add salt, water, beans. and corn bringing it to a boil. Continue boiling for about 20 minutes stirring occasionally until water boils out. Heat oven to 350. Butter the bottom and sides of your pan. Press in one tortilla for the crust. Spread 2 tbsp sour cream over the tortilla followed by the 1/4 cup of salsa. Spread 1/4 of beef mixture and a sprinkle of cheese. Place a trimmed tortilla over top of that and repeat steps until you have four layers ending with a sprinkle of cheese. I could not fit 4 layers in the pie pan. I ended up with three. Bake for about 30 minutes, slice into wedges and serve.

It said that it serves 10, but it was just enough for Art, Chelsea, and I. The rest of the children had cheese quesadillas.

No comments: