Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, November 1, 2020

Homeschool Wrap Up Week 9

 The day we came home from our camping trip, I was feeling like I was coming down with a cold and I blamed it on the drastic weather change.  By Tuesday I had started having a little pain at the base of my ear and running down my neck.  Tuesday and Wednesday Willow ran a low grade temp and went to the doctor Thursday where she was diagnosed with a double ear infection (poor baby!.)  Friday morning the pain in my neck had gotten worse so I went to the doctor (I try to never have to go.)  I was diagnosed with a sinus infection, fluid behind my ear drum, and an eustachian tube dysfunction.  I got an antibiotic, decongestant, and have been taking lots of Motrin.  I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, but I admit that Friday night was awful.  Saturday was a little better. It seems like the medicine has started to kick in and today I am better but still have quite a bit of pain.  I have been laying around "resting" most of the week-end  and am ready to feel better and back to normal.  I do have an even greater sympathy then I had before for children with chronic ear problems!  My not feeling well and taking care of sick babies this week did affect our school work a little but we did get quite a bit accomplished.

 


Willow climbed up next to Lily and started "playing" on this broken computer while Lily did her school work.
She did not feel good but she was trying to be cheerful!

 

 

Normally I think that young children learn best by play and by being read to rather then by playing on tablets or using workbooks, but Liam asked for school books so he could be like the big kids so I bought him a sticker book and a cute little work book that has a variety of activities in it.  He was so excited!

 




Bible:  We finished Philippians and started Colossians.

Read Aloud: We read a couple of chapters in our biography on George Washington Carver.

History:  We completed lessons 25,26, and 27 in MOH Vol II on Columba, Early Japan, and Gregory the Great.

Geography: We finished the lesson on Connecticut and finished reading Rabbit Hill.  I had intended on working on postcards to mail out this week but just didn't get to it.  We will get going on those next week.

Math: Each of the children completed 4 lessons in their math this week.  So far Teaching Textbooks seems to be working ok for Anthony.

Language Arts: Christian and Anthony read 4 chapters in Treasure Island (we will work on that until Christmas) and wrote a persuasive paragraph.  Emmie started 26 Fairmount Avenue by Tomie de Paola and so far she really likes the story.  Lily started Love that Dog , which she does not love I think because it is written in poetry form, but we have talked about how it is good to read books sometimes that you wouldn't naturally pick out on your own. 

Latin: We finished Lesson 7 in Visual Latin on nominative and genitive cases.

Art History: Our video this week on da Vinci focused on his painting of The Last Supper.  I learned many things that I never knew before!

Spelling/Reading: The boys completed Step 20 in AAS Level 7.  Emmie completed though Step 23 in AAS Level 1 and she read The Raccoon Problem in AAR Level 4.

 

Other Activities this Week:

 

Monday: We had been watching for Netherland Dwarf rabbit babies since Thursday the 22nd which was day 28 since the rabbit was bred.  They have their babies between day 28-31.  We had put the nesting box in two days before and put hay in her cage and she started building her nest.  As of Sunday night(day 31) there were no babies and she had not pulled any fur.  The weather by the way was miserable, windy and cold.  Monday morning I went out to check and the mama rabbit was pulling fur (they do that 1-2 days before giving birth but all of ours have always done it right before they have babies.)  15 minutes later the girls went out to check and the rabbit was in the box.  They wanted to stay and watch (not that you can see anything at all) and I told them it was ok as long as they were staying back and not opening the cage.  A few minutes later Christian was over there and could see a baby rabbit pushed aside that he thought was dead.  He came in to tell me and I went out.  We tried to warm it and massage it for quite awhile but it would not revive.  We knew there were other but were not sure how many because she had done such a good job protecting them from the cold.  The next day I checked the nest and found 2 babies and both were alive.  They will be a week old tomorrow and seem to be doing fine!  





 

The girls had gymnastics Monday night.  They painted their faces for Halloween.  I wish I had taken a picture, they were so cute!


Friday the girls had their music lessons and signed up for dance which will start next week.  Lily decided she wanted to take dance this year too.  I hope she loves it!



Saturday 2 of our goats went to an auction to be sold.  It is hard to say goodbye to our animals!



 

For Halloween this year, Chelsea had a party at her house for us.  She decorated and made some cute food items.  They painted pumpkins, watched a movie, and the little kids played a bowling game.  Of course there were candy buckets with treats for everyone.  They had a good time!  Alex could not attend because he was not allowed to ask off work because it was a holiday and he was scheduled to close. 














 

The sun is out and it is pretty again today.  I hope we have some nice weather next week!


I hope you had a great week!

Happy Homeschooling!

1 comment:

Aflyonmyhomeschoolwall said...

Oh my goodness! What a fun party! Those apple frogs are really, really cute. :) Hooray for cute baby bunnies!!! I hope they thrive and bring lots of joy to you all. I also hope they fill the empty spot left by the loss of the goats. You all do such good work with caring for God's creatures. I sincerely with you a speedy, full recovery and good health ahead! That infection had to be awful. :(

Happy homeschooling to you!