Our Family

Our Family

Monday, November 9, 2020

Homeschool Wrap Up Week 10

 For the most part, our family is pretty healthy.  We have some chronic issues, like allergies and frequent headaches, that are not fun to deal with but I cannot even remember the last time I took someone to the doctor because they were sick until I had to go last week.  But, this week we had some kind of illness in two of the boys that kept them out of school and in their room the entire week.  They were tested for flu, strep, and covid, ( all returned negative), and given antibiotics in hopes it would help clear up their sinuses ( I think it has helped some.)  Our school week was altered quite a bit with missing students.


Bible: We finished Colossians and 1 Thessalonians.

Geography: We finished the lessons on New York State and started reading The Cabin Faced West.

Art History: We watched a video on Michelangelo. 

Language Art: Emmie finished her lessons on 26 Fairmount Avenue and Lily finished Love that Dog. 

Emmie read The Whistle Man in AAR Level 4 and finished AAS Level 1 and through step 5 in AAS 2.  We have hit a point now where she does not already know the words that are coming up and will slow to one lesson per week.

Math: We finished 4 lessons in Teaching Textbooks levels.


The girls worked on writing postcards to the states we have covered in geography and have been excited to receive postcards from the different states.  

We worked on packing Operation Christmas Child boxes.



 

And talked a lot about the happenings of the current presidential election.  


Our baby bunnies are super cute!  I went out Wednesday to take some photos of them to send to Nick.  We do not handle baby bunnies very much until they have their eyes open but we do pick them up once a day to check on them and make sure they feel warm and their bellies are round and full. They usually open their eyes between 7 and 10 days.  Wednesday they were 10 days but eyes were still not open yet.




Friday Christian came running in to the house to tell me one of the babies was out of the box.  The box is pretty big and I was worried about them falling and hurting themselves so I got a shoe box to replace it.  When checking and moving the bunnies we discovered open eyes!  The children now handle them several times a day and they are getting themselves in and out of the box.








This weekend there was a virtual baking/decorating 4 h camp being held on Zoom.  It started on Friday night, went from 9-5 Saturday and from 1-3 on Sunday.  They had cookie and cupcake caking and decorating, making cinnamon rolls, making apple pie, and making bread planned. Lily did not want to do all of it, just the cookies and cupcake part, so that's what we did.  Emmie just wanted to decorate cupcakes. It was not as much fun as being at an in person camp, but I think that they did a great job with it and we really enjoyed the parts we participated in.









Emmie also helped me make an apple pie.


Right after we baked the pie, the heating element in the oven went out.  A replacement part will be here sometime this week.

 

At bedtime we have started reading Little House in the Big Woods.  The Little House books were my favorite when I was Emmie's age.  I read them so many times the covers came off!  And Chelsea loved them too we spent a lot of time reading and researching about Laura Ingalls Wilder.  I have read a few of the books aloud to the boys and Lily read Little House in the Big Woods last year on her own but I would like to read the whole series aloud to them in the evenings.  We are also still reading The Hardy Boys series for the boys and are on Book 7 (I don't know if I will read all of those!)


I hope you had a great week!

Happy Homeschooling!

1 comment:

Aflyonmyhomeschoolwall said...

Oh my goodness! Those baby bunnies!!!! They're so cute!!

I'm glad your boys tested negative for all of those yucky things. Here's hoping they recover from whatever it is they've got/had.

You're reading so many good books together, and you're doing so many good things together. I need to just look up and commit to those OCC boxes for next year. I always think about it for so long that I miss the chance. I really struggle to plan ahead really well for holidays because it takes so much energy to live in the now. My little sister planned Thanksgiving, and I'm just grateful to accept her assignment and do my part without having to do the planning myself. :)

We have several dozen Hardy Boys books--a hand-me-down gift from a friend. I'm happy to have my boys read them . . . on their own!

I wish you all good health and a working oven in the week ahead!!!