Our Family

Our Family

Monday, August 17, 2020

Our Weeks in Review (August 3rd-16th) Birthdays, College, and Chaos

 Maybe not chaos. Maybe stress is a better word.  But I will be thankful for the positives and try not to think too much about the negatives.


August 3rd-6th were mostly normal, relaxing days at home.  We had a break in the heat which was wonderful!  


Those are rabbits in the strollers.


Our baby turned 1 on August 7th! We had a little party for her on August 8th.  The children had a wonderful time!  The present I ordered for her was delayed in the mail so I got her a tiny baby doll and a purse so she would have something to open from us She loved them!  Emmie sewed her some shapes and Lily made her a pillow to put in her doll bed.  It was a very nice family day!








August 9th we dropped Nick off at college.  Hard day for mama.  I'm very proud of the man he is becoming but my heart still feels like he's a little boy.  I think the pandemic has made it even harder this year.  The students have to wear masks unless they are in their dorms.  His schedule went from in person classes M-Fri to only two days a week in person and 2 days having classes on Zoom.  Other changes have happened as well.  He is only an hour and a half away and plans on coming home every week-end.  He kept his job here at Sonic and will be working on the week-ends to help pay his expenses.


August 10th Lily had a sewing workshop to finish up her quilt.  It turned out so beautiful!  I am very proud of her hard work.



I was woken up early Tuesday morning by a text from Chelsea that said ," Have you heard from Nick."  I replied," not since yesterday."  Then she texted back, "Have you seen the news?"  I clicked on the news page and found that there was a shooting at the college during the middle of the night!  It was a secluded incident. (I'm fairly certain it was drug related but they haven't come out and said that.) One person was injured and another killed.  Nick did not even know what was going on until morning.  He had heard the sirens but other then that had no idea what it was.  


Later that day I took the girls for their music lessons and to record an offertory for this Sunday's church service.


As we were rehearsing, my phone rang.  It was Chelsea and she was crying.  She had just been in a car accident with the babies in the car.  Thank God they were not hurt!  It was a hit and run.  The driver ran a stop sign and drove into the side of her hitting the door where Willow's seat is as she was turning and just kept on going.  A police officer witnessed the accident and attempted to follow the car but lost it.  After an investigation they found the driver and she was cited for driving on a suspended license, leaving the scene of an accident, and another charge I can't remember.  Later that night the same woman was arrested for drunk and disorderly conduct.  So very thankful they were not hurt!


The girls got to go back to gymnastics Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.  It was a small, socially distanced class.  Parents couldn't stay so no photos.


Friday I spent most of my afternoon on the phone and computer.  I am in a battle with a local school superintendent over Alex being allowed to take a welding  class.  He has been registered for weeks and now a week before I get a call saying homeschoolers aren't allowed to do this.  If you remember, Nicholas just did this a few years ago.  I am really hoping it is a misunderstanding.  I am working to try and clear it up.  But, it is up to the district.  They are allowed to adopt a policy not allowing it.  I don't understand why they would, especially since they welcomed us with such open arms before.  We will see what happens. I have sent an email to the superintendent and am waiting for a response.


Sunday Nick was on his way to work and blew a tire.  He was able to get the car pulled over and no damage was done except to the tire.  Thankfully he was close to home and Art could take the car to get new tires put on it.  While he was at Walmart the power went out! It was out for several hours, but he car did finally get finished and Nick was able to load up his clean laundry and head back to school.


The very good news is that the church is planning on reopening in a few weeks!


It got super hot again this week-end after lots and lots of rain.  Pigs do not do well in the heat so we do what we can to keep them cool!



Our homeschool year will start next Monday.  I am finishing up some planning and preparation this week (possibly making some changes to Alex's day depending on how things go.)  I am excited to be starting another year!

1 comment:

Aflyonmyhomeschoolwall said...

Ummmmm, yeah, I would say you had a lot of stress! I'm grateful that your family has been safe through it all. I hope the district superintendent is cooperative and welcoming. I wonder why people are mean sometimes.

Happy birthday to your precious grandbaby!

And Lily's quilt is gorgeous!

I'm wishing you peace and a good start to your school year!!!!!!