Thursday, February 4, 2010
Internet Problem Resolved
During the time that our computer was not functioning, I had our Internet service disconnected. It didn't make sense to continue paying for something that I couldn't use. We also made the decision to turn off our land line and go with the convenience of a cell phone. So, when we got the new computer, I had to decide what I was going to use for Internet service. Dial-up service was inexpensive, but then I would have to pay a phone bill plus our cell phone bill too. We decided to run our Internet using Art's Blackberry as a modem. The phone came with a USB cable and the necessary software so there was no start up cost. Verizon also offered a 30 day trial and you didn't have to sign a contract for Internet usage. The problem being we could only use the computer when Art was home at night,it was not unlimited usage, it was pretty slow, and if you received a call it would kick you off. So I decided to look into other options. Yesterday we had a wireless modem installed through the phone company. The modem is connected through a phone line, but there is only a charge for the line if you make outgoing calls. We have unlimited usage and it can run the Internet on anything in the house that has the capability (Ipod, Wii, blue ray player, laptop.) There was a $100 equipment charge with a $50 rebate and the monthly charge depends on the speed. So far I am very pleased with the service even though we are not able to get the faster speeds because of our location.