Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Back to School!

The children were chomping at the bit to get started on their school work, so we started back yesterday. It is two weeks earlier than what I had planned and I don't even have all of my books in yet, but I wanted to go ahead while they were so excited. Last year our first day did not go as well as I had hoped, so this year we are easing into our work and will be up to a normal schedule in about two weeks (or as soon as I get my books.) Our Monday Morning Project yesterday was making owls out of paper plates. It turned out very cute (I will try to post a picture later) and they are already looking forward to next weeks craft. We also did a Bible Lesson with the boys. Chelsea did a full schedule (her choice.) I thought I would share what I am using for curriculum this year.

Chelsea 7th grade-Sonlight Curriculum. I love using Sonlight. I think it is a great way to teach. The biggest problem I have with it is cost. I cannot justify the expense for 1 child when I have 5 others. I was very blessed this year that a friend of mine loaned me her entire 7th grade Sonlight curriculum! All I had to add to it was Math (Alpha-Omega 7) and Chelsea wanted to start Spanish this year so I ordered Instant Immersion Spanish on CD Rom.

Nick 2nd Grade- Horizons 2 Math, Language Lessons for the Very Young, A Reason for Handwriting, The Story of the World. We are using www.spellingcity.com for spelling, doing a study on animals starting with Birds for Science, and I have selected several read alouds and readers for him.

Alex K-Horizons K Math, Build your own Phonics Book, Handwriting Without Tears, The Story of the World, Same Science and read alouds as Nick.

Anthony pre-k. He wants to do "school" with his siblings so I am using some workbooks from Usborne: Ready for Writing, Shapes, and Letters.

Chelsea's Bible Study was included with her curriculum and the boys and I will be reading through the Story Book Bible again this year.

No comments: