Our Family

Our Family

Friday, September 20, 2019

5th Grade Curriculum Choices for the 2019/2020 School Year

I recently wrote about my curriculum choices for my 3rd grader this year.  You can find that post here.  My 5th grade daughter's curriculum is very similar to my 3rd graders with a few exceptions.  Lily has already gone through all the levels of All About Reading and by 5th grade does not need a reading curriculum.  She reads on her own quite often and will have books to read for "school" in her literature studies.  She also does not do a formal spelling curriculum.  She has always been a good natural speller so we haven't done a lot with spelling.  But she is using the Reading Eggs 200 Essential Reading Skills for 5th Grade which has spelling, grammar, and comprehension exercises.


I would choose completely different things if Lily was the only child I was homeschooling but these choices work better when homeschooling multiple ages.

During the morning school hours we work on our "together" subjects.  For Bible this semester we are reading straight from the Bible, currently in the book of Luke.


For history we are using The Mystery of History Vol 1.



We always do some kind of nonfiction read aloud in the mornings, usually a biography.  This year we are working through Zeezok Music Appreciation 2 so our biographies are famous composers and we listen to some of their works as we go through the books.


I chose Apologia Botany for science.  This is the only book out of the elementary series that we have never used.  I ordered the Junior Notebooking Journal and the science lab kit to go along with the text.



Art- We currently have a subscription to Creating a Masterpiece Drawing lessons and will be working our way through those.  We also are working on a Art History video series called HIGASFY.




In the afternoons we work on individual subjects.


 Math is CTCMath.  This is an online math with video lessons and short assignments.









For language arts Lily will be using 4th Grade Lightning Literature.  I chose 4th grade instead of 5th grade because I really liked the book selections and I know Lily will too.




She will also be using 200 Essential Reading Skills for 5th Grade.





I think that these choices will be a good fit for Lily.  I am still trying to decide if I should add a language study as well but I am going to wait and see how things go over the next few weeks first.

Happy Homeschooling!

1 comment:

Aflyonmyhomeschoolwall said...

I particularly like how you mentioned that you'd do things differently if she were your only one. There really is a big difference between how to do things one-on-one vs. how to do things family style. I hope your girl has a fabulous 5th grade year!