Our Family

Our Family

Saturday, June 25, 2011

All About Spelling

Last year, I started looking for something new to use for Spelling. I was tired of using programs that had kids memorizing random lists of words. I wanted a program that would teach kids HOW to spell, teach them the spelling rules, would work for hands on learners, and didn't require a lot of teacher preparation. The recommendation I got from several homeschool moms was All About Spelling.To be honest, when I first looked at it I wasn't sure I wanted to spend that much money on a Spelling program. But, when I realized that the program was made up of non consumable items and could be used for all of the children it would actually save me money over time. I decided to order the Level 1 Teacher's Manual and Student Material Packet and the Basic Interactive Kit. After I had an opportunity to organize everything (I will say that it does take a little bit of time to cut out and organize cards and magnets) and read through the Teacher Manual I could see why homeschooling moms are recommending this product so highly!

Some of my favorite features:



  • It is multisensory and lessons involve sight, sound, and touch
  • Each lesson builds on the one before
  • There is constant review
  • Mastery based not grade level based
  • Scripted lesson plans that are clear and easy to follow


I liked what I saw so much I went back and ordered the Level 1 Readers so I can teach Reading and Spelling at the same time. The readers are hard covered and have beautiful illustrations. They should last for many years and through many children.


When I was asked if I would like to become an affiliate of All About spelling I was very excited! I love being able to share my favorite products with my readers. Interested in see what products All About Spelling has to offer or want to find out more information? Click on the ad below.



3 comments:

Lori said...

Thanks for the information. I am really considering this for my daughter who has Down Syndrome but because of the cost I am wanting to make sure it will be something that will work for us. I'm particularly excited that it has manipulatives. Anyway, thanks for the review, it's helpful to hear from others who actually use it!

Christa said...

I got this to review a couple years ago and it was the end of the year and we just started on it, and continued long enough to get a feel for a review - then summer hit! My kiddos are a bit older, but I have a struggling learner, so I am planning on pulling this back out again and starting at the beginning and seeing if she can catch on or has a light bulb moment with this!

(stopping by from the Crew)

The Happy Homeschool Mom said...

Lori,
If you find it doesn't work for your family, they have a money back guarantee for up to one year from the purchase date.