Our Family

Our Family

Saturday, January 7, 2017

Snow Day!

Yesterday was my birthday.  When I was growing up in Western New York, it snowed pretty much every year on my birthday.  Since moving south almost 18 years ago, it had been a long time since we had snow on my birthday.

Snow is such a common thing many places that it is not very special.  But here it is a big deal.  And children love the snow!  We did not get any snow at all last year so the children have been hoping they would get to play in the snow this year.

When the extended forecast came out showing the possibility of snow I did not say anything to the children at all.  And then it disappeared.  Thursday we were showing a 30 % chance of snow for Friday but I still didn't tell them.  But then we were at the library and one of the ladies there asked them if they were excited that it might snow the next day.  The whole rest of the day they kept asking me to check and see what the weather said.

We woke up to this.



And they were excited to see even that much and headed out to play!






Just before lunch we started getting some flurries and they broke out the sled.  I did not think it was going to actually go down the hill, but it did!





It snowed a little bit on and off for the rest of the afternoon.  Nick and Alex even headed out to play in it.







We have never had so many birds at our feeders as we did yesterday.  Every time I tried to get a picture half of them flew away! 





Around supper time it started snowing really hard.  Big, white, fluffy flakes.  They went back out until it was dark.






I made endless cups of cocoa, dried lots of clothing so it could be worn again after they warmed up, and watched out the window.  I did go on the sled one time.

This morning we woke up to no power.  But thankfully after a couple of hours it was back on.  We had to take care of animal chores.  Then the sled came back out.

The snow was too fluffy for a snowman so Lily made a mini one




I'm sure it will all be gone today, but at least they had their snow day!

No comments: