Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, January 1, 2017

Our Week in Review (December 26th-January 1st)

This may be my most boring week in review ever and does not have a single photo. Usually we take the children to the movies during Christmas Break and I hoped that there would be a nice day that we would get to go to the zoo, but we didn't do either.  I also had some crafts and things that I wanted to do and was planning on taking down decorations today (our tree is looking very pitiful.) But we have done next to nothing all week long except for watch movies.

The day before Christmas Eve, Nick was not feeling great.  He had a sore throat, runny nose, and slight cough. Christmas Eve he didn't even help me wrap presents and Christmas Night he fell asleep during a football game of his favorite team.  Nick hardly ever gets sick.  The day after Christmas Lily and Emmie complained of the same thing Nick did, and the day after that Anthony had a sore throat, headache and fever, and that night Christian did too.  After taking care of sickly children for 8 days, this mama ended up with the same symptoms and has spent most of the last two days on the couch.  I am thankful it wasn't worse but even though the children are feeling better they are not 100 %.  Art and Alex have managed to stay healthy so far and I hope they stay that way!

We are planning on starting back to school tomorrow.  Art goes back to work and we need to get back into some kind of routine.  Moving forward into the new year, I am going to make a few small changes.  We are going to continue with ECC and I may still add a few things to that each week but am not going to stress myself out over it. I am going to make Nature Study a bigger priority and take a look at my art resources to come up with a plan for a weekly art lesson rather then trying to use the Global Art book.  The girls want to get back into Foreign Languages for Kids by Kids.  They have been missing doing Spanish.  And, the Schoolhouse Review Crew has some amazing vendors on the list this year that I am hoping we will have a chance to review.

I also am going to get back into blogging more.  It is something that I really enjoyed doing for a long time but for the last year or so it has felt like more of a chore then a joy (except the product review part.)  I had always meant for this blog to be a record of the things we do and to support and encourage others in their homeschooling efforts.  The product reviews evolved out of that but I believe those serve as an important resource to homeschoolers and others who are making purchases.  I lost my heart for blogging about homeschooling (with the exception of our weekly wrap up and reviews) when I was told by someone that reading this blog made her feel like a failure as a homeschooler.  That along with some personal things going on in my life just made me feel like I had failed in my goals to be support and encouragement to others.  I am not perfect.  I make mistakes every day, many times a day.  My children are not perfect either.  Other people's lives are not going to look like mine and they shouldn't.  God made us all different and gave us all strengths and weaknesses.  He also gives us forgiveness and grace.  I am going to go back to blogging more and not worry about what other people may think or say.  So you should be seeing more posts from me starting next week.

I hope you had a great week!

Happy Homeschooling!

No comments: