Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Nature Study Week 3: Trees

One of my goals for 2017 was to be more intentional about Nature Study for the four youngest children (5,7,9, and 11).  I want to do Nature Study once a week around a specific theme.  I remembered a friend mentioning a resource she bought at the beginning of the school year and after taking a look at it decided this might be what I needed to help make sure I actually get it done.  I bought Exploring Nature With Children , an ebook with 48 nature study ideas, a poem to go along with your theme, the name of a piece of art work to look up, books, and extension activities.  She also lists coordinating pages from Handbook of Nature Study if you have that book and are interested in looking up more information.



Our week 1 study was on the winter sky.

Week 2 was on the moon.

This week our nature study was on trees.  When we do the nature study, I read through the information that was included in the book.  It only takes a few minutes.  Then we read the suggested poem and look at the piece of art work that is listed.  Then I send them out to do their investigating and draw in their nature journals.  

Our yard has a lot of trees.  I told them they could pick any tree they though was interesting to draw. 



The trees they chose are Saw Tooth Oak Trees.  We kept the acorns in the fridge over the winter a few years ago and then planted them in a small container in the spring.  We moved them to a bigger bucket when they outgrew the container and last year planted them in the front yard. 

I thought that they would choose some of the larger trees to see if there were any nests or anything interesting in them that you might not see in the spring when all of the leaves are on the tree, but once again they surprised me.



 Except for Emmie who tried to draw the big tree by the swing set.


Happy Homeschooling!

No comments: