Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Schoolhouse Crew Review: Laurelwood Books

Latin and Penmanship {Laurelwood Books  Review}
I have always enjoyed the Latin language.  I was able to take it for one year when I was in school and I have had my three oldest children do a year or two of Latin.  I was excited to be able to introduce Latin to my younger children in a fun and laid back way using Olim, Once Upon a Time in Latin, Reader I and Workbook I from Laurelwood Books.

There are six volumes in the Olim, Once Upon a Time in Latin series.  Each of these paperback  readers ($8.95) introduce children in grades 2-5 the Latin language using familiar fables, parables, and Bible stories. Each story in the reader is in both English and Latin and each page lists the new Latin vocabulary in the sidebar.  Each of the stories have black and white illustrations.  Volume I contains the stories of: The Three Little Pigs, The Tortoise and the Hare and The Crow and the Pitcher.  Volume II has the stories of The Good Samaritan, The Ant and the Chrysalis, and The Lost Sheep.  Volume III has the Feeding of the 5000 and The Lion and the Mouse.  Volume IV has the History of Creating the World.  Volume V contains We Know a Tree by It's Fruit and Daniel Part I and Volume VI The Prodigal Son.

To go along with each of the readers is a workbook ($17.95).  There are exercises in the workbook for each reader page.  The workbook exercises include: translating words from English to Latin and Latin to English, matching, fill in the blanks, and " Are you ready for the Challenge?"  Digging Deeper exercises give more information on grammar and Digging For Treasure gives clues to a surprise at the end of each story.  The answers keys for each exercise are included in the book.  

We received Vol I and started with the first story, The Three Little Pigs. I have been reading aloud the stories to my 9 and 10 year old boys with my 5 and 7 year old girls listening in as well.  My boys are not strong readers or writers so I have been doing the workbook exercises aloud with them and writing their answers in the book.
My first impression of the books were that they are so sweet!  I just love readers and the illustrations that are included.  Each of the stories is printed in the reader first in English and then in Latin.  That is so helpful to young children when they are trying to translate the words. The first day I read the entire story in English and Latin and then when working on each days assignments I would read the page first in English and then in Latin before working on the exercises in the workbook.   The vocabulary words printed with the definition in the sidebar are a wonderful help.  It is so convenient to not have to search for them.  

The workbook exercises help reinforce what is being taught in the lesson.  The reader tells you which corresponding pages to complete in the workbook.  There is not set schedule and you can work at your own pace.  We finished one section of the reader per day along with the corresponding exercises.

I think these Olim, Once Upon a Time in Latin Readers and Workbook exercises are a great, fun, and gentle way to introduce young children to Latin!

Members of The Crew reviewed a variety of products from Laurelwood Books.  To see what my Crew Mates had to say, stop by the Crew Blog!

No comments: