Our Family

Our Family

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Our Completed Read Alouds for 2015/2016 School Year

As I was sitting here making some lists for next year, I was remembering all of the books we read last year.  I am always curious about what other people are reading, so I thought you may be curious to see what we have been reading.

We do three different read alouds during the school year.  In the morning we read a nonfiction book, usually a biography.  In the afternoon we read a historical fiction or other book that goes along with what we are studying.  In the evening I read one chapter of a fiction chapter book (unless they talk me into more!) and one picture book.  I am only listing the chapter books.

During the 2015/2016 School Year for our morning read aloud we read:

George Mueller The Guardian of Bristol's Orphans
John Wesley: The World and His Parish
Brother Andrew God's Secret Agent
C.S. Lewis: Master Storyteller
Corrie Ten Boom: Keeper of Angel's Den
Heroes of History:Thomas Edison
Handel at the Court of Kings
Haydn the Merry Little Peasant


For our afternoon read aloud we read:

Squanto Friend of the Pilgrims
The Courage of Sarah Noble
Sarah Whitcher's Story
Mountain Born
On the Banks of Plum Creek
Farmer Boy
The Minstrel in the Tower


For our evening read aloud we read:

Born to be a Dragon by Eisley Jacobs (these are the first three of a series we are loving these!)
Blink of a Dragon
Dragons of the Deep

Stuart Little by E.B. White

The Glass Castle by Tricia White Priebe and Jerry B. Jenkins (this brand new and has a sequel that is not out yet)

Canyon of Danger and River of Peril by Susan K. Marlow (this series is wonderful!)

Disney After Dark, Disney at Dawn, Disney in Shadow by Ridley Pearson (the first three in the Kingdom Keeper's Series.  The children enjoyed these, I was glad I was reading aloud so I could skip some portions.  Nothing major, just a bit more tween romancey then I like.)

The Door Within, The Rise of the Wyrm Lord, The Final Storm by Wayne Thomas Batson (really good Christian series that we loved! Did get a little violent at times so I had to modify some things because of the girls listening in. These books are long and took quite awhile to finish!)

The Sword in the Tree by Clyde Robert Bulla



That is all I can remember of our evening read alouds.  I think I need to start keeping a list.  Maybe I will remember to do that for this coming school year.

Happy Homeschooling!


No comments: