Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Review: The Heiress of Winterwood





Amelia Barrett gave her word. Keeping it could cost her everything."
Darbury, England, 1814
The Heiress of Winterwood takes place in Darbury England in 1814.  Amelia Barrett made a promise to her friend as she lay dying that she would raise and care for her daughter Lucy and nothing and no one is going to stop her.  Amelia certainly has the means to easily do so, she is heiress to a large estate in the English moors.  The only problem is that she must marry and soon in order to receive her inheritance.  Her uncle has hand selected her fiancee, but as time goes on Amelia is unsure of his character and he insists that she must give up Lucy.  When Graham, Lucy's father returns from sea, Amelia makes a proposal to him, one that will ensure both her and Lucy's futures.  All he needs to do is agree to marry her.  Will he accept her terms or will she be forced to give up the child she loves as her own?
But, when Lucy is kidnapped everything is put on hold.  Graham and Amelia have important lessons to learn about love, faith, and trust.  They must put their fate and faith in the One who is really in control and learn to accept God's sovereignty, and that His plans are always best.
I love Historical Fiction and really enjoyed reading The Heiress of Winterwood.  I loved the characters of Amelia and Graham.  Amelia and Graham have a lot in common and both have lost a great deal.  I loved how Amelia learned that she is much stronger than she ever thought and that with God on her side she could not fail.  She made a promise, and nothing or no one was going to stop her from keeping it, even when it went against her own family's wishes.  The lesson that Graham learned about forgiving himself is an important one that we all can relate to at times. I think the smaller story of Graham and his brother's relationship made a great addition to the story.  I loved the mystery aspect to the story.  I loved the descriptions that the author uses to draw you into the story.  I will admit that the ending was a little predictable, but it was a great story with a wonderful ending.  I liked it so well, I read it twice!

DISCLAIMER:  I received an e book copy of The Heiress of Winterwood for the purpose of writing a fair and honest review.  I received no other compensation and all opinions are my own.  I am disclosing this in accordance to FTC regulations.    

No comments: