Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Favorite Recipes: A Healthier Version of Fettuccini Alfredo

Do you love Fettuccine Alfredo?  We do.  But it's not exactly the healthiest dish in the world to eat.  I heard about a recipe using a spaghetti squash, and had it on my list of recipes I wanted to try.  A couple of days later, a good friend of mine stopped by and brought me a some from her garden!  The perfect opportunity to give it a try.  I made it for supper last night and it was delicious!  The spaghetti squash "noodles" have a crunchier texture than regular noodles, but other than that the children may never know they are eating a vegetable.

I used:

2 spaghetti squash
8 oz of cream cheese
1 3/4 cup of milk
mozzarella cheese


Poke several holes in the top of the spaghetti squash and cook at 350 for about an hour.  Take from the oven and let it cool 10-15 minutes.  Cut in half, remove the seeds and shred up the inside of your squash.  It will look like spaghetti noodles.  Toss into a 13x9 casserole dish.

To make the sauce, dice up a block of cream cheese and put in a sauce pan with the milk over med heat.  Stir until cheese is melted and sauce is thickened.  Pour over "noodles" and mix well.  Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese over top and pop back in the over until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly.


I don't use salt and pepper while cooking because we all have different tastes when it comes to that, so add salt and pepper to taste.  We also thought this would be yummy with some other things added in like green pepper, mushrooms, and tomatoes, so I will have to give those a try next time.  I have also seen where people have used the squash instead of a baking dish and kept the shredded squash inside, poured the sauce and cheese over top, melted in the oven, and served it in the "shell", but I didn't make it that way because I didn't want the children to know it was a vegetable ; )

2 comments:

Lorus! said...

I've been thinking about trying this! Did you notice a different taste with the squash?

The Happy Homeschool Mom said...

It has a different texture. The squash is crunchier than spaghetti noodles. Really all you taste is the sauce and the cheese.