Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Foods of the World Homeschool Co-op

A couple of years ago, our small homeschool group did a once a month co-op.  Every month we did fun hands on activities or went on a field trip.  Each family was in charge of planning one activity/field trip for the year.  When it was my turn to plan, I came up with the idea of a Foods of the World Cooking Co-op (although I am sure I didn't come up with it on my own.  I probably read about it somewhere.)  For this co-op each family would choose a country and prepare food from that country.  They also could present a talk about the country or do any kind of presentation about the country.  We had one family bring a craft for all the children to do and another family did music from their country.  Some families only did food.  After the presentations, we got to sample the foods from each country.  It was a lot of fun and very educational!  We tried to plan it again the next two years but it just didn't work out.  Even though we do not get together once a month anymore, we still try to do some activities from time to time.  Yesterday we finally had the chance to do the Foods of the World Co-op again.

We had 5 families participating with a total of 21 children!!!  Some of the children were babies of course.  My family did Italy and did a small presentation on Italy and made Fettucini Alfredo and Chocolate Gelato.  We also learned about Israel, Germany, Japan, and the United States.  The children learned some interesting information and we got to eat some great food.  In addition to the food from Italy we had German Chocolate Cake, Rice, Cucumber Salad,Paki (not sure if I spelled that right it's like a Japanese candy),  Pitas with turkey, lettuce, roast beef, and pastrami, pickles, bread with chocolate spread, and American sack lunches with chips, juice, dingdongs, BBQ sandwiches and beans.  We all had a great time and it was wonderful to be able to get together with friends.

As usual, my pictures did not turn out that great.  I am so disappointed in this camera (it really is the camera not the operator.)  Rumor has it I may be getting a new one for Mother's Day.




No comments: