Our Family

Our Family

Friday, July 16, 2010

Getting it All Done

I remember when I had only 3 children, Chelsea was in school and I met a mom with 3 kids who homeschooled. One of the questions I asked her (and have been asked many times myself now) was, " How do you get it all done?" First of all, you never get it all "done." There will always be something more to do. Take the laundry for example. On those rare days when I get it all wahed ,dried, folded, and put away, it is bedtime and they all take off their clothes and put on their pajamas. What is more important is finding a routine that works the best for you and your family. With 6 children in my house, I can guarantee that the house is never spotless (and if it is it only lasts about 5 minutes.) For me, that's OK. While I think things to be neat and tidy my biggest priority is not a spotless house. I do like to get my husband's opinion on what he thinks is important. For instance, Art doesn't care if there is unfolded laundry left in the laundry room as long as his clothes for work the next morning are put away, or if there are a few dirty dishes in the sink as long as he has a cereal bowl and spoon for his breakfast. Another thing that is important to my husband is to eat supper at 5:00. He goes to work early in the morning and is hungry when he gets home so I have supper on the table every night at 5:00. I am one personand cannot do all of the work in the house on my own. The children have age appropriate chores that they are expected to complete. We are a family and need to all work together to get things done.

Our day is scheduled in blocks of time. My school day schedule looks a little something like this:

7:00-9:00- breakfast, morning chores

9:00-11:00- morning school time. All of the things we work on together (Bible, Art, or special projects ) are done first

11:00-12:30- lunch, cleanup, recess

12:30-2:00-naps (for little one) independent school work

2:00-4:00- productive free time

4:00-5:00- kids clean up toys mom makes supper

5:30-7:00 free time

7:00-8:00-snack baths, bed (for all of the children even though Chelsea can read in her room until 9:30)

8:00-10:00- I get to visit with my husband, use the computer, read, do some small chores that did not get finished during the day.

We also only do schoolwork 4 days a week. Fridays we take off and run errands, go to the park, and buy groceries (yes, they all go shopping with me). Once a week cleaning jobs also get done on Friday afternoon.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I love your schedule and am considering a 4 day school week. I only have 3 children...and am finally getting to a point where I'm ok with a tidy, but not always clean home. Thanks for sharing!