Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Some Days Just Don"t Go As Planned......

Today was going to be a great fun day. I had everything all worked out. Chelsea was off to be a "mommy's helper" to a good frien with 4 children whose husband has been working in Colorado for several months while she holds down the fort here. So the plan was to drive into town, drop her off, pick up another friends 3 children to keep for the day (she just had baby number 4 so I thought I could help out by having her kids come over to play), bring them back here to play until it was time to take them back home and pick Chelsea back up this afternoon. I also had planned to pick up Chelsea's birthday present while I was out without her. The day started out great. Everyone got dropped off and picked up like they were supposed to, all 8 children were playing very nicely together and having a great time. I got everyone fed and sent the 4 older boys outside while the younger ones played in the playroom and I sat down to have lunch. Then I heard the scream. You know the one. Not the "He stole my light saber," or the " I bumped my knee on the swing set." It was the blood curling shriek that tells you that blood is pouring out of some body's body. I jumped up, and sure enough, it was Alex with blood pouring out of his mouth. I stuffed a washcloth in his mouth and tried to find out from the other boys what happened, but nobody saw him. To make a long story short, he fell over backwards and bit his lip all the way through. I thought he needed a stitch, so I loaded up the kids, dropped 3 back off at home. While I was driving, I called our doctor who was not in. Two other physicians in town were not in, and the other two would not give us an appointment. Left with no other choice we went to the ER. After waiting for an hour, we had not even been through triage yet, and there were 2 people in front of us. It had been 3 hours since he had fallen and the bleeding had almost stopped, so we left without being seen. Alex came home, put on his pj's, and curled up on the couch. He is doing quite well and his lip has already started the healing process. He is eating soft foods and it is only hurting a little.

1 comment:

6intow said...

Poor guy! I don't enjoy days like that, but they are part of life. Praying he heals quickly and well.
~Erin