Our Family

Our Family

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Homeschool Regulations?

Besides the question about socialization, the second most common question I am asked about homeschooling is, "What kind of regulations do you have?" Each state has different rules and regulations. In the state of Arkansas we have very few regulations. We are required to submit a letter of intent and a waiver stating Arkansas is not responsible for our child's education in August or 2 weeks before pulling a child out of school. We also have to take Iowa Tests every year from 3rd-9th grade. That is all we are required to do. I am stunned at people's reaction to this. I am surprised at how many people feel that Homeschoolers should have stricter regulations. People think without government regulations, parents will not be providing a good enough education for their children. As a parent I want what is best for my children 100 percent of the time. The government cannot tell me what foods to feed them, what kind of sports they should play, what church we should attend, what kind of television shows they can watch, how much sleep they should get, etc..etc..etc.. Why should government have a say in my child's education? Even though we do not spend 6 hours a day 5 days a week using Public School Textbooks does not mean my children are not learning. Every homeschool family has a different method of doing "school" and should be able to educate their children as they see fit. As the person who spends 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with my children, I believe that I am the most qualified person to determine their educational needs. What we need is fewer regulations to allow parents to do what we do best....looking out for the best interests of our children.

No comments: