Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Kids and Community Service

One of my focuses for the new year is to do a once a month community service project with the children. Something that is appropriate for their ages, everyone can help with, and can show them what a difference in some one's life. We are working on small projects that are not incredibly time consuming and can fit into our budget. In December we chose 3 angels off of the Salvation Army Tree that our church and purchased one gift for each child. In January, we put together health kits made up of 12 personal necessity items to send to Haiti. Each child packaged their own health kit from items we purchased at Walmart. For our February, our 4-H club is visiting our local animal shelter. Today, we used some leftover fleece to make blankets to donate to the shelter. We also are gathering up some old towels to take along with us. I had some cute pictures to post of the children making the blankets, but just when I think I have a good handle on this new computer, it shows me different and I was unable to upload the pictures. If I figure it out later tonight, I will post the pictures. I will also post our future projects in the months to come.

1 comment:

kathleen said...

hey there! what a great thing you're doing. I am always amazed by how much you get done! I wanted to tell you i have a blog now! It's superjerl.blogspot.com It has been fun to do. But a warning, which might be a shock...Ruth, Georgia, and Joseph all are in school this year. I know, I never thought that would happen. And I have been hesitant to let you sweet friends know over in AR. I didn't want to be a discouragement to anyone. I just got completely overwhelmed last year...we moved 3 times in one year, baby on the way, etc. It has been fine, I love the consistency, but as you well know, there is a lot not to love. Mainly the "socialization" of all those wonderful peers! All those little guys are such a great influence--HA! But they are actually going to the elem. school I went to growing up. Ruth is in 5th, Georgia 4th, and Joseph 2nd. Ruth will come back home next year, and I think Georgia and Joseph will go one more year. Townes is still home for K and will stay home. I actually cannot wait for Ruth's year to end, 5th grade is pretty much like being in middle school, which I didn't realize. We are going to finish out the year and not quit, but it has been a challenge. So there it is, I have confessed :) . It has been a good break for me here at home, so I think our decision, for the most part, was the right one for right now. So I just wanted to tell you in case you checked out my previous posts and saw the "first day of school" pic! Well you keep up the awesome job you're doing, it always encourages me to see what yall are up to!
love, kathleen