Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Potty Training Tips

We have begun our potty training adventure with Anthony (almost 3). Summer is a great time for potty training. There are less clothes to remove and you spend a lot of time out side (which is a much better place for accidents than the carpet or couch.) How do you know when to start potty training? Look for the following signs: your child is interested in sitting on the potty, he can go for long periods of time without wetting, and he is able to dress himself. Anthony began to be interested in the potty several months ago (watching older brothers) so we began to potty before bath, when we woke up in the morning, and before bed, but still kept wearing diapers. In the last couple of weeks he had started to tell me every time he had wet his diapers, so now every morning we put on big boy underwear (it helps that he wanted to look like He-Man) and we sit on the potty about every 30 minutes and clap and cheer every time he is successful. We do not use pull-ups. I believe they are a waste of time and money. They are very expensive and they don't teach the child what it feels like to be wet. At nap time and bed time he is still wearing a diaper. So far it is going really well and he has only had a few accidents (no big deal we just clean up and put on dry underwear.) I hope to have him completely day time trained in the next couple of weeks (then I will only have to buy diapers for one!)

1 comment:

6intow said...

I read this post and tucked it away to process because our days have been busy recently, but it was really the motivation I needed to clear my schedule a bit and put more concerted effort into potty training our youngest. I loathe potty training. I have often said I would pay someone to do it for me if I could.

Anyway, I decided to try the every half hour thing and can't believe how well he's doing. This from a child who a week ago went to the bathroom during one of my marathon "sit on the toilet until something comes out" and didn't realize until I pointed it out to him. I just figured he wasn't ready. However, since we are a month past his third birthday I thought he just might need some more "encouragement."

Today, no accidents and lots of success. I have to use my timer to remember to have him go because I get so caught up in other things now and then. The beeping always calls us back and he is doing it. It's so exciting! (for him, too)

Thanks for the methodology and motivation!
~Erin