Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Our Week in Review (June 20th-25th)

One of the things that I have been doing over the last several weeks is trying to make final decisions about our curriculum for next year.  Some things I had decided on a long time ago, but there are several things that are undecided and it will be time to start the new school year before we know it.  I need to be realistic about what we can cover in a year and not put too much stress on the children or myself.   Math is one of my biggest concerns.  The curriculum we have used for years did not go so well last year.  Originally I had planned on continuing anyway, but the more I think about it, the more I know something needs to change.  What works for one student does not work for another and even when something works for awhile when it doesn't it is time to try something else.  Change can be hard especially when you are trying not to cause more frustration and confusion. Curriculum choices can be so hard!  When I finally do decide on everything, I will write a series of posts about it.  This year we have a K, 2,4,5,7, and 9th grader.

As part of our summer school this week. I had Nick and Alex take a placement test in math.  Anthony and Christian worked on multiplication facts.  Lily and Emmie did some math exercises with our learning palettes.




Lily, Emmie, and I did an Art Achieve lesson.

We did a lesson on VeritasBible.com and worked more on The Three Little Pigs in Latin.  Anthony and Christian started using a new app called Orphs of the Woodlands from Star Toaster.  It is like an interactive book that has them reading and doing different jobs in a variety of subject areas.  So far they really are enjoying it.


We made pudding pops one day this week.


And playdough another day.



We had to move chickens around too.  Our babies are big enough now that they are crowded in their pen so we put them in the big chicken pen and two of our other chickens in the small pen.  Those white chickens were pretty happy to be running around while we moved the babies.  They enjoyed scratching in the dirt.


We had a 4 h field trip to Historic Washington State Park this week.  Originally it was supposed to be all outside activities but due to extreme heat in the forecast it was switched to mostly indoor activities.  I was so glad!  It also worked out better for me because our family pass would cover the cost.  We toured the weapon's museum, 1836 Courthouse and Schoolhouse, Candle Shop, Print Museum, Blacksmith Shop, Woodlawn House, James Clardy Kitchen, Gift Shop, and 1874 Courthouse.  We also had lunch in Williams' Tavern.  It was the first time we had eaten in the tavern and toured the Woodlawn House and James Clardy Kitchen.


























I hope you had a great week!

Happy Homeschooling!

No comments: