Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Our Week in Review (July 27-Aug 1st)

It was a bit toasty in our house this week.  That may be a bit of an understatement, but it could have been worse.  We could've not had any electricity.  Even though our air was out we still had our ceiling fans and a small window unit upstairs.  Temperatures outside were over 100 every day, but inside we were between 86-90 for 5 long days until the correct part arrived and my amazing husband got it fixed!

Monday morning we had archery.  This week at archery we played some archery games.  They played a few different games with popping balloons, Tic Tac Toe, Horse, and Cootie.  They had a lot of fun!



After archery we did some shopping taking advantage of the air conditioning and the back to school sales on school supplies at Walmart.

Tuesday we were at home all day.  It was a LONG day!   In the afternoon the girls and I went to the coolest spot in the house, the upstairs hallway and put a movie on the computer.  Miss Emelia fell asleep and took a 2 hour nap.  I can't remember the last time she took a nap!



A friend texted me and asked if I wanted to check out the new Dino Dig with her and her children that is not far from my house Wednesday morning.  So I packed some pb&j sandwiches, juice boxes, gogurts and goldfish for lunch and off we went.

They put an indoor sandbox in half of a pawn shop and put in some dinosaur statues.  Your admission allows you to stay as long as you want and each child gets a baggie when they walk in the door.  They fill that bag with rocks that they can take home with them.  We stayed a little over 2 hours and the children had a blast!  The admission was $8 per child.









Lillian's rocks photo by Lillian


They had a gift shop too but I have to say the prices were outrageous.  More so than your typical gift shop.  Instead of buying anything there I took the children to Dollar Tree.

Anthony's Dollar Tree dinosaur


We ate our lunch in the van and headed to 4 H.  They were having a photography workshop.  Anthony loves photography and taking pictures.  We learned about tips and tricks to make our photographs better and had an opportunity to go out and take a few pictures.



 A few photos by Anthony




Wednesday night the air was fixed!  Thursday we stayed home and enjoyed it!
The children were quite proud of this watermelon we grew!

Friday Anna had to go for shots.  The girls love going places with me and they especially love the vet. Alex came too to help me with the dog in the van.  She has a tendency to get car sick so I was very glad when she did not!  She was a good girl and got a doggie treat when we got home.



We only "did school" 2 days this week.  We completed three stops in our Egypt history study from Home School in the Woods.  Anthony and Christian completed Lesson 31 in AAR Level 2.  Nick is still working on the introductory lessons in When Worlds Collide.  He will start reading the first book next week.  Since Alex did not have anything specific to do during school time, I gave him The Archaeology Book from Master Books to start reading through.  Lillian completed two lessons in First Start Reading.

I am really enjoying Horizons Preschool with Emelia.  She loves the worksheets, crafts, and the little songs that we sing.  It is great to have some one on one school time with her too.

Happy Homeschooling!


2 comments:

Aflyonmyhomeschoolwall said...

Oh! You have my sympathy over those hot, hot days without AC! I'm glad it's working again. These really hot days make me think about how AC is such a modern convenience and how people lived through summer days without it, but it feels so impossible to me because I'm used to AC!

Your watermelon is gorgeous! I hope it tasted really good.

The Happy Homeschool Mom said...

I decided I definitely would not have made a good pioneer, but I guess then they didn't know what they were missing :)

We actually did not have central air until we moved south, living in WNY when it only was hot a few days in the summer you just didn't need it, but it's a little different in Arkansas. I am so thankful to have it fixed!