Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Why The Happy Homeschool Mom?

I started this blog back in 2008.  I had a friend recommend a blog to me that had a lot of good money saving/homemaking tips and advice.  Before that I never heard of a blog before.  On that blog, there was a series of posts about starting your own blog.  I thought that it would be a fun way to record our homeschooling journey, connect with other homeschooling moms, and encourage anyone that might happen to stumble upon my blog that may be interested in homeschooling.  Starting up the blog was very easy, the hardest part was choosing a name.

When I first made the decision to homeschool, I had very little support.  My husband, and three friends (two  already homeschooled and one who was interested in it) with the only ones who offered any encouragement.  The rest of my friends thought I was crazy and were opposed to the idea with some being very vocal about their opinions.  One of the many negative things I was told was how unhappy I would be having the children home with me all day long.  I would never have any peace or time for myself.  It would end up being too much for me and I would end up putting her back in school where she belonged.  That is what made me choose the name The Happy Homeschool Mom as a way to show yes you can homeschool and not be miserable or unhappy, you can be a happy homeschooler!

That does NOT mean that every moment in our homeschool is happy.  I actually think it is funny that anyone would assume that or think that is what I am trying to show on this blog. I am one person homeschooling seven children.  Some days go very smoothly.  And then there is the rest of the time.  Children throw tantrums, fight, argue over toys.  Some days all seven of them need something from me all at the same time. I hear the word "mom" constantly.  I am often interrupted.  I am rarely anywhere in the house by myself.  I get tired, loose my patience, and even have those moments when I would love to run and lock myself in the bathroom for a long time!

But truly, I couldn't imagine it any other way.  I LOVE being at home with my children.  I LOVE being the one that teaches them.  I LOVE spending time with them every day. Homeschooling was the best decision I ever made. While every moment is not happy, and it sure isn't easy, it is so worth every moment.  We only have a few short years to prepare them for eternity.  And after 9 years of homeschooling I am still "The Happy Homeschool Mom!"

No comments: