Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Last Day of Homeschool for 2012

I confess I am not very good at making and keeping lesson plans.  I really like to be able to be flexible not just because of the possibility of sick days, but also to fit in plenty of real life learning experiences as opportunities become available.  Being on the Schoolhouse Review Crew also requires a certain amount of flexibility.  I have in the past had up to 12 review products at one time plus our "regular" school work.

To keep on track throughout the year, we do follow a routine with our schoolwork.  Math and writing are pretty simple, one page per school day.  Science 2 days per week, History 2 days per week.  If we miss one day we will double up on the other day.  Spelling (All About Spelling) is one of those subjects you can't really plan out (same with PAL.)  How fast you move really depends on the child and how quickly he understands.  Some spelling lessons may only take a day or two and others may take a week or two!  I really do not stress about how long it takes us to complete something, we finish when we finish. 

Originally, I planned on having a "normal" school week this week.  But we were actually ahead of where I thought we would be in both History and Science and close to good stopping places in Math, Reading, Writing, and Spelling.  So I decided this would be a light week.  I thought it would be fun to take a day off and go to the museum (which ended up taking up two days read my previous blog post.)  Then Wednesday I had a dentist appointment in the morning so we only ended up doing afternoon school work.  Today we spent our morning school time reading through several chapters of the Bible on the birth of Jesus.  After that we watched Veggie Tales The Star of Christmas.

The boys were completing their Math a little while ago and said that this was the last time they would have to do school work this year!  I hadn't even thought of that!  We will take off school until Art goes back to work after the new year.  I am very pleased with all of the curriculum we have used this year and the children's progress.  I look forward to starting back in the new year and reviews starting up again.

No comments: