Our Family

Our Family

Friday, February 17, 2012

TOS Review: Who Am I and What Am I Doing Here?

Last year I had the pleasure to review the first book in Apologia's What We Believe Series, "Who Is God and Can I Really Know Him?"  You can find my review on it here.  I was thrilled to have an opportunity to review the second book in the series, "Who Am I and What Am I Doing Here?"  We received the whole set of "Who Am I" products including: the textbook, notebooking journal, audio CD's, and coloring book.

Children are bombarded daily with all kinds of different messages about truth, morality, beauty, identity, faith and much more.  It is important that we equip our children to be able to discern between competing ideas and stand in the truth.  The "What We Believe" series was designed to teach children ages 6-14 essential truths of the Christian faith and to use scripture as a lens to view the world around them them to see things as God sees them and to know the truth.

 There are four books in the series, "Who Is God and Can I Really Know Him?", "Who Am I and What Am I Doing Here, "Who Is My Neighbor and Why Does He Need Me?", and "What on Earth Can I Do?" (vol IV available soon.)  Each volume is a complete course and can stand on their own, although it is beneficial to complete them in order.  There is no teacher's manual.  Everything you need to teach the material is in the book, although there are extra helps are available online for free with purchase. 


Click here to see the Table of Contents.

Click here to see a sample lesson.

I love it when I am able to use a curriculum for everyone in my family at the same time.  The "What We Believe" series was designed for ages 6-14 and I have been using "Who Am I?" textbook (hardcover $39.00) with my 6,8,10, and 14 year olds with the little ones listening in and playing nearby.  My 6 year old is not going to get as much out of it as my 10 and 14 year olds, but I love that he can sit by and listen and understand what we are talking about and participate actively in the conversation.  We were talking about being made in God's image, being given special gifts and talents, and using them to glorify God.  Anthony (6) said that God made him with a special talent to make crafts and he could use that gift to glorify God by making Bible crafts or making things to give to sick people.  I thought that was so precious that he could listen, understand, and participate in our conversation.  I also like that there is no teacher's manual, and that everything you need is contained in the book.  It does not require any advance preparation from the teacher.  "Who Am I ?" is more than just a typical "Bible Study."  It does teach about the Bible of course and includes Scripture memorization, but also teaches Apologetics, Art, History, Science, Social studies, and many real life lessons using real life examples. 


To see Sample Pages click here.
To see a sample of the lesson plans click here.


The Notebooking Journal (spiral bound $24.00) is the perfect companion to go along with the text!  When I first opened it and looked through it I thought (don't laugh) this is too pretty to write in!  The graphics used in the background of the journal are so beautiful!  All of the children are working together and sharing one journal.  My 14 and 10 year olds could easily complete the journal on their own, but it would be too difficult for my 6 and 8 year olds.  I  follow the suggested lesson plans and notebooking assignments in the front of the journal, although you don't have to and can do more or less than what is suggested.  In addition to bible verse memorization and copywork, the journal contains discussion questions, puzzles, activities, mini books, prompts for writing and drawing, places you can record your prayers, answers to prayer, and where you "see" God.  It is a wonderful keepsake and reminder of what we have studied.

Listen to a sample by clicking here.


 The Audio CD ($19.00) has been wonderful to use!  It is an Mp3 CD, so it will not work in a regular CD player.  I have to play it on my computer.  It is very easy to play in the computer and to locate the files you need to play that day's lesson.  It is nice to be able to save my voice (we do a lot of reading aloud!) and let somebody else read it for me.  It is also very nice for when the little ones need something that can't wait (diaper change or somebody bleeding) the children can keep listening while I attend to the problem.

 To view sample pages click here.

The 64 page coloring book ($8.00) was designed to keep little hands busy while listening to the reading.  Each beautiful drawing depicts a story or teaching from the book and helps to reinforce the lesson.  Children love to color and it is a great way for the younger children to feel like they are working along with their older siblings.

My family and I are really enjoying learning together with"Who Am I?"  Apologia has created a wonderful product and great companion materials that answer the needs of homeschooling families.


To see what other crew mates had to say click here.

I received complimentary items of the Who Am I series of products for the purpose of writing a fair and honest review.  I received no other compensation.
Photobucket

2 comments:

Nanette said...

Great review! Thank you. I am considering beginning the series with my soon to be 12yo son this fall. I look forward to learning with him! :)

Nanette said...

Great review, thank you! I look forward to beginning the series with my soon to be 12yo son in the fall.