Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Shedding the Baby Weight

I actually added it up. During the course of 6 pregnancies, I have gained and lost 200 lbs. That's a lot of baby weight. I am often asked what my "secret" is to losing the weight. The truth is their is no "secret " or magic formula. You cannot wave a magic wand and be back to your pre-pregnancy weight (unless you live in Hollywood.) Here are some of the things that work for me.

1. Be mindful of how much weight you are putting on. Your doctor will give a weight gain range that is best for you and a healthy baby. A few extra pounds aren't a big deal, but too much weight can cause problems with your pregnancy, delivery, and health of your baby.

2. Breastfeed if you can. Not only is it the best thing for your baby, it burns a lot of calories and will help to shed the weight.

3. Drink lots of fluids especially water.

4. Eat well balanced meals. I have to eat 3 meals and 2 snacks a day while I am nursing. I try to eat a good variety of foods throughout the course of the day. I do love to eat sweets though, and I do this in moderation and make sure if I am eating cookies or other sweets that I eat no other "junk" foods that day.

5. Exercise. You do not have to have expensive gym equipment in order to lose weight. Put the baby on the stroller and head outside. Walking is great exercise and pushing a stroller (or a double stroller) can help burn more calories. Yoga is something else you can do throughout your pregnancy and after to help get back into shape. If you have a friend that will go walking with you it makes for greater accountability and it is more fun.


Remember it is not about how much you weigh, it is about being healthy. It takes 9 months to put the weight on, you need to give yourself time to take it back off.

No comments: